• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interior Work Starting Soon

One Owner 1982

Thanks for the feedback. My car is a one owner and I took the best care of it except for the many miles of driving it over the years. The car was never abused so a lot of my original equipment is still in good shape. I’m waiting on carpet samples and then I will make a decision but I feel like I will keep the original. More to come

One Owner 1982

Primed the two sides and back panels today. We have had a temperature drop here in AL and i haven’t had a good day to paint until today. Hopefully will top coat tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpeg
    IMG_6601.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 3

Ponyprez

Primed the two sides and back panels today. We have had a temperature drop here in AL and i haven’t had a good day to paint until today. Hopefully will top coat tomorrow.
I had an issue with the temperatures here in the high desert and ultimately had to heat up my garage to paint, of course I had to cover the car and blow out the water heater. It will be worth your effort and I amk finding I should have painted surfaces I didn't think I would have to.

One Owner 1982

Primed the interior plastic this week. Still having a terrible time finding a good match on top coat. Was hoping to take advantage of the warm weather this weekend but I haven’t found a good paint yet. I may have to order from LMR again. Well it’s Christmas Eve and Mustang Dreams with have to wait until next week.

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpeg
    IMG_6601.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 0

One Owner 1982

More interior work this week. I got a new Hi-tech stereo for Christmas. It’s all Bluetooth, and Apple car play compatible. I was a bit skeptical of it at first but it’s growing on me. I also got an LMR under hood insolation kit. Really cleaned up the hood and engine compartment. I love it when Santa brings LMR boxes for Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 4

Ponyprez

Insulator pad looks great and the stereo looks good but a very tight fit. I also added a Bluetooth Sony 400watt stereo head unit, Rockford Fosgate P6 component speakers in the front doors and dash, Kenwood 5 x 7 coaxials in the back and a Kenwood self-powered under seat subwoofer for the right front seat. It was a lot of work and front pass seat is locked in the far back position but I think it's the best system I ever put together especially in a convertible. Your 82 looks like it's really coming along well and I hope you had a great Christmas.

One Owner 1982

Awesome! I'm doing some interior work as well, looks like we ordered some of the same parts. Where did you get the dash pad from? National Parts Depot offers one that is dyeable, it's a little over $300 but I want it to match and will paint it with the SEM Color Coat that I ordered (from NPD) in "Vaquero". I've painted a few plastic pieces with it so far, including the kick panels, and I am very impressed. My car has a replacement dash pad in it which is in pretty good shape but oddly the driver's side speaker cutout does not align with the speaker hole in the dash. It is also not the right color.

Since you're adding some dash speakers, I'm curious if you're going to put three speakers up front. In my car, I removed the stock speakers already and will replace them eventually but I got to wondering how you run three speakers up front and two in the back with a standard 4-channel receiver/deck and no amp. I asked my highly intelligent electrical engineer friend this question and he turned me on to Ohm's law, which I don't understand but the part I get is that you can't just wire three dash speakers together and run them off two channels from the receiver and expect it to be OK. I want to install new 3.5" on each side in the dash and a 5x7" in the center, along with two 6x9" in the rear. Probably gonna need to run a 6-channel amp and power everything through that, but I really don't know the answer yet.
I ended up putting 2 3.5” speakers in the dash and I didn’t put a 5X7 in. I kept the two 4” speakers in the kick panels and tied the two 3.5s to their wires. I kept the 6X9s in the rear and put them in rubber echo chambers. So far the sound great. Haven’t had them fired up with the interior completed yet

81Notch

I ended up putting 2 3.5” speakers in the dash and I didn’t put a 5X7 in. I kept the two 4” speakers in the kick panels and tied the two 3.5s to their wires. I kept the 6X9s in the rear and put them in rubber echo chambers. So far the sound great. Haven’t had them fired up with the interior completed yet
Right on. I got some info about that middle dash speaker when I bought my speakers from a local audio shop that's been around for a long time. An old-school guy who works on their installations heard the salesperson talking to me about the Mustang and he came out and told me that, typically, there would either be two speakers on each side of the dash OR a single speaker in the center, NOT both. He said that center hole was often used for an amplifier, depending on the sound system installed by Ford. So, the previous owner of my car for whatever reason decided to wire a 5x7 into the center to go along with the 3.5" on the sides which explains why the wiring I removed from the center speaker was different and poorly done. My project got a lot less complicated when I learned this, because I just bought 3.5" speakers for the front and the center hole will remain unused. With the 6x9's in the rear deck I think it will be plenty of sound. I'm glad to hear your system is installed and sounding good.

Erkenbrand

I think it looks great. Once you have installed the seats, center console, and some floor mats, it's going to be just fine.

One Owner 1982

I’m slowly but steadily making progress on my interior. I have the new shock covers and one rear side panel painted. I e had to dodge weather issues to get this much done.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 4

One Owner 1982

Left rear interior panel is painted and installed. It’s taking me a lot longer than I anticipated due to weather conditions and issues I’ve had finding the correct paint color. I’m very happy with the outcome so far. Still working on the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 3

One Owner 1982

Repaired and painted the 1/4 window faring on the left side. Right side is ready for installation now.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 4

81Notch

Looking good! The orange stripes on your car, are those factory? I have two much more narrow orange pinstripes on my '81, and I found a post where some guy who worked in a Ford factory in the 80's described how they would paint them on.

One Owner 1982

The stripes are OEM factory. I actually have a new old stock set. The ones on my car are a little chewed up on the edges so I’m going to replace them soon. I have them laying on the roof so they can straighten out from being rolled up in a box for 40 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 4

One Owner 1982

Back seat reinstalled today. Working to get front seats installed by end o the week. I can’t believe the seat upholstery and the carpet are 42 years old. I added some before pictures for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg