• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help Please!!!

85foxbody

So I have an 85' Fox Body(obviously), but I am trying to rebuild this thing without any knowledge. So If I am in the wrong place, please let me know. But I would like to try to build up my motor to push around 900+rwhp. But I don't really know where I should start beginning to look as far as the head and cams are concerned. I was wondering if there is anyone that would be able to either recommend a book for me to read, or if someone could help me to understand it. I have never really been into the muscle car rebuild part of automotive repair, hence the reason I have no knowledge of it. I currently have a Boss 302 block, which my plan is to fully customise that, to allow me to be able to push the amount of hp that I would like to achieve. I understand that I will probably put in a different rear end, but I would like to get the motor done first, then I plan on tackling the rear end. If there are any more details that you will need to help me in this, please just let me know and I will be responding as quick as possible. I have been trying to find some sort of information for quite some time, but just continually hitting dead ends, so I am begging for help! Thanks

85foxbody

Well unfortunately, that is the kinda input that I am looking for here. I really don't know. Like i said, i have never done this before. So to be able to achieve my final goal of 900+ hp, I am a little unsure of where i should start. Maybe 363?

Blown347

Staff member
Are you sure that you have a "boss" block? That is an aftermarket block from ford racing, an they're not cheap. If it is the factory block it won't hold that kind of power. That would be the starting point. 900 hp will require essentially rebuilding the entire car from a shell. It's no small task. We're talking suspension, brakes, chassis stiffening, new transmission, complete fuel system, and then the motor. If you really want to go that high I would suggest building the car to handle the power before you put that much to it. A lot of people do this the other way around and it's very dangerous

85foxbody

Should I be able to take the serial number from the block and do a vin check on it to verify it being a boss block?

Blown347

Staff member
The casting number is stamped into the block on the passenger side rear of the block, right above the rear freeze plug