• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help in removal of stuck control arm bolts

apophis

Well I've sure done it this time. Trying to replace my 8.8 rear with another diff that has built gears. I've got everything disconnected besides these 2 lower control arm bolts. I can get them to spin [which was a whole process] but cannot get them to come out at all. I've pried on the one tou see further out [passenger side] but can't even get the driver side to budge out.
I've tried fire, pb blaster, smacking it with a hammer, prying it with a screwdriver and vice grips. Nothing wants to work with me here! Anyone experienced have any advice to get these out?20230416_172335.jpg

Attachments

• 20230416_171605.jpg
    20230416_171605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

broncojunkie

I just went through this recently, but it was 4 bolts. I managed to get 3 of the 4 out with a combination of things. After about 3 hrs, a pile of spent blades, chisels, etc, me and a buddy gave up. I stopped at the hardware store on the way home and grabbed a somewhat spendy carbide saws-all blade. It zipped through that bolt in about 30 seconds.

The correct replacement bolts are a little hard to find where I am. Fastenal or Grainger will probably be able to get something that works, but I ordered some online that were perfect and reasonably priced. If you need it, I could probably look it up and see where I got them.

Erkenbrand

+1 to the above. Get yourself a good blade and cut through it. Maybe try an air chisel to drive it out? They work surprisingly well sometimes.

347HO

Heat the head using MAP gas torch.
They must get almost red hot.
Should spin right off.