• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hello from SWVA, thanks in advance for your help!

81Notch

Hey folks, just wanted to introduce myself as you're likely to see me asking a few questions. I recently purchased a 1981 coupe, 6-cyl with an auto trans, 87K mile one owner car last on the road in 2014. My first car, bought as a senior in high school in 1994, was a 1965 coupe, 6-cyl with a 3-spd manual, and somehow it seemed much older than this 42-year old notchback does now. Weird. I always thought I would get back into a Mustang with a V8 manual, but this car probably suits my personality better.

I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow morning, got a flatbed lined up and then I'll get it to my mechanic to see what all it needs to get back on the road. I have no garage at home and limited mechanic skills, but a little more resources and sense than I did in high school so I'm gonna see what I can do with this car to enjoy and preserve it. No plans for an engine or transmission swap, this one is going to stay as original as possible.

Attachments

• 00505_lxP84WUuzZK_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00505_lxP84WUuzZK_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4
  • 00y0y_f6le1Jg0Vnl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_f6le1Jg0Vnl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0544_rs.jpg
    IMG_0544_rs.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

One Owner 1982

Hey, nice 6. Great car to start with. I have a 1982 hatchback. I’m the one owner of this car. I will share some photos so you can see it. Let us know how the mechanics work out for you. From the pictures it looks like it has all the emissions equipment in tact. That’s unusual because most people rip that stuff out as soon as the car is out of warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 2

81Notch

Wow, that's a gorgeous '82 you've got there. I dig it!

Funny you mention the smog pump, I was wondering if that's something I should delete or just leave intact. Either way I would not do anything with it immediately, I'm just wondering about longer term does it hurt performance at all and would I gain a little more oomph if it's gone. Given that I'm trying to maintain as much originality as possible, maybe it's best to leave it? We shall see.

This car is still sitting untouched at my mechanic's shop, I was there yesterday and he said he should be able to work on it next week, but he said that last week...I realize he needs to service vehicles that people need to get to work, etc. so I'm not too upset but damn I want this thing home so I can clean it up. I did deliver to him a new gas tank and remanufactured carburetor, the car has gas from 2014 in it and on the advice of my mechanic and my gearhead uncle I'm just having those swapped out. I only had to order two gas tanks so far, the first one was nowhere close to right and this second one is TBD.

One Owner 1982

I removed my smog pump, EGR valve and a lot of excess vacuum sucking lines and parts that the engine only needs for environmental crap years ago. I added a header and put a custom exhaust on it with no converter. I’m running a 2.3l 4 cylinder so I had to do everything I could to get more power out of the car. I’m sure your mechanic will know what to do with it if he runs into problems with the engine.

Put a new fuel pump on it too. The diaphragm is dry rotted by now.

Mine sat for 15 years, I parked it on 2007 and I started it up in December of 2022

Erkenbrand

That's fantastic! I love the fact you're keeping it original. I have a soft spot for all original classics. My Mustang isn't, but it had already been heavily modified before I picked it up. But I have a 62 Skylark that's untouched down to the paint and drum brakes. :)

I hope it gets running soon! Theyr'e fun to drive.