• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hatch won't latch

Bartolucci

I am a new and recent owner of a1989 GT Hatchback. The hatch will not latch. The striker on was missing the bushing so I replaced it. Still no go. I adjusted and shimmed the latch assembly (the Striker pin doesn't seem to adjust). Still won't latch. It appears to be lined up and the stops/weather stripping isn't in the way. Next move to replace the latch assembly itself? TIA.

Bartolucci

I'm going to answer my own question. It may be helpful for someone else as this seems to be a common problem.

A little more investigation revealed that the striker pin does adjust (it seems to pivot with the backing plate). I could see from the "shadow" the backing plate left where it used to be higher. I removed the plastic shroud, loosened the pin, and adjusted it up all the way. Readjusted my bumper stops on the hatch lid, and now it closes.

* Beforehand, I replaced the pin as the plastic bushing was gone. I purchased a pin that came with the bushing. I also cleaned and lubed the hatch mechanism.

broncojunkie

I just saw your post. Glad you got it sorted out! Another problem involving the hatch latch and striker is that there were, i believe, 4 different mechanisms throughout the years. The hatch itself was pretty much the same, with the exception of 79 and possibly 80. The different latches will not easily transfer over to these models. The later hatches can, however, be made to work with a little cutting, drilling, and rivets (or better yet, a riv-nut set). easiest way I found was to modify a later hatch to accept the early latch mechanism.

I realize none of this is helpful to you but may be good info for someone stumbling across this in the future. I could not find much info at all when I was searching earlier this year!