• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hatch won’t shut

Herbs

Hey I’m new to foxbodys and I just bought my first one and the hatch won’t close. I’ve checked the bushing but I think the lock itself is the problem. Help needed!!

One Owner 1982

My 1982 has a broken latch spring on one side. That makes it hard to latch but it will. I don’t know if it’s repairable but I’m going to find out. You will probably need to replace or repair the latch. Welcome to the forum!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Hey I’m new to foxbodys and I just bought my first one and the hatch won’t close. I’ve checked the bushing but I think the lock itself is the problem. Help needed!!
Have you tried adjusting the striker , it will move up and down some, or are the bump stops set to high not letting the hatch make contact with the striker.

STR 60.JPG Hatch Stops .jpg

Kknodt

I thought I had the same problem with mine. I thought it wasn’t latched but every time I started it, the dome light went out and it was latched. Then I tried to check it with the ignition switch and whenever I moved the key to the position before start, if it wasn’t latched, it latched and the dome light went out. I wondered if this was normal.