• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

front bumper molding/paint

DC-8

I just bought an 89 LX, 18K original miles, the paint on the entire car looks to be original except on the front bumper. Where the black molding meets the paint, there is a small masking tape bleed through, is this normal from the factory, or has the bumper been resprayed?

DC-8

Can you send a picture of what you’re talking about?
Not now, the car is in storage till I sell my truck, but it's where the front molding meets the paint, I know the entire bumper is naturally black and the molding is actually part of the bumper, its looks like when you paint a wall and the paint bleeds under the masking tape line and creates a less than sharp line when you remove the tape

One Owner 1982

Ok, I have a 1982 GL. It’s a black car as well. The front and rear bumper covers are actually naturally a tan or pale yellow and they are painted with a flexible polyurethane paint. Mine are showing some of the natural color through the paint on the back bumper.

DC-8

Ok, I have a 1982 GL. It’s a black car as well. The front and rear bumper covers are actually naturally a tan or pale yellow and they are painted with a flexible polyurethane paint. Mine are showing some of the natural color through the paint on the back bumper.
Okay, I thought they were black like my 2000 Z28 was , molded black from the factory, yeah, being on a black car, there isn't any way to really differentiate, thanks for the replies though

broncojunkie

For the record, I just sold an aftermarket bumper cover for 87-93 gt and it was black, so maybe the cover has been replaced?

One Owner 1982

Well mine is an 82 that’s all original. A lot of stuff changed between 82 and 87. Who knows? I’m glad to have the information though.