• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fox Body Fan

Just thought I would say hello. I don't own a mustang.............yet. I have been wanting to get a project car for a while now, something for me and my son to work on. I have always loved the Fox body mustang for some reason, guess it is because it was the bad ass car from when I was teenager. I am keeping my eye open for a convertible 5.0 87-93. I just want something solid, body and running gear wise to start with. Anyway, plan to be lurking here and other forums to learn as much as I can. Any advice of what to look for when buying one of these, especially a convertible is appreciated.

Blown347

Staff member
Just thought I would say hello. I don't own a mustang.............yet. I have been wanting to get a project car for a while now, something for me and my son to work on. I have always loved the Fox body mustang for some reason, guess it is because it was the bad ass car from when I was teenager. I am keeping my eye open for a convertible 5.0 87-93. I just want something solid, body and running gear wise to start with. Anyway, plan to be lurking here and other forums to learn as much as I can. Any advice of what to look for when buying one of these, especially a convertible is appreciated.
Welcome! So far as things to look for, obviously budget will determine how nice of a project you can start with, but rust is the big one. Check under the cowl panel, the convertible top mechanical pieces, along the edges of the trunk, and especially in the door hinge area. obviously crawl underneath and check floor pans and such as well. a nice rust free body or very minimal rust will save you a ton of headache later. The other thing you should be sure of is wiring. granted the car could run well, but personally i will never buy another fox that someone has hacked the wiring all to hell in. its just a nightmare later on when you start trying to do mods as well as troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. and I hope you enjoy your stay on our forum :)

Thanks, for the feedback. I definitely want to find a car that is as close to stock as it can be. It is always a PIA to determine what others have done, whether it is wiring, motor, suspension etc. Probably looking to spend between $3-5K, but obviously the less I can get into it for the more I have for restoration and mods.

Blown347

Staff member
Thanks, for the feedback. I definitely want to find a car that is as close to stock as it can be. It is always a PIA to determine what others have done, whether it is wiring, motor, suspension etc. Probably looking to spend between $3-5K, but obviously the less I can get into it for the more I have for restoration and mods.
You can find a very nice stock fox in that price range. My advise would be to stay patient. You can always find one exactly the way you want, sometimes it just takes time.

John2002

I was on the otherside of the page, a motorcycle...but as luck would have I worked with two guys that got hit in broad day light on their way to work on motorcycles.The both had injuries they recovered from but both bikes were totalled...NUFF SAID!!! I started looking on-line and found ours89 GT convertible about 5 miles away at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer a few weeks before X-mas 2008. It was a much wiser choice.

Good luck in your search....

I was on the otherside of the page, a motorcycle...but as luck would have I worked with two guys that got hit in broad day light on their way to work on motorcycles.The both had injuries they recovered from but both bikes were totalled...NUFF SAID!!! I started looking on-line and found ours89 GT convertible about 5 miles away at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer a few weeks before X-mas 2008. It was a much wiser choice.

Good luck in your search....

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I have been in and out of motorcycles over the years. I currently have a Suzuki dual sport, which will probably get sold if I get a project car. I saw a guy laying in a pool of blood on the road earlier this year that really made me think. Not to say you can't get seriously injured or killed in a car (look at Paul Walker), but at least you have some protection. Plus with the motorcycle it makes it difficult to enjoy with both my wife and son at the same time. We can take a convertible out on the weekend and cruise together.