• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Few questions

gaberator567

i have an 88 5.0 with a starting issues it cranks but doesn't start it has spark going from the ignition coil to the distributer and distributer to the plugs also has an injector pulse.it had fuel pressure at first after replacing the pump but the pump would stay on even with the key in the run or accessory mode now it has lost all fuel pressure. i have already replaced the fuel pump, pump relay and fuel filter. i have narrowed it down to a fuel problem because it will start and stay running on starter fluid. any ideas?

broncojunkie

The ol "constantly running fuel pump" is a reoccurring theme almost always traced back to a faulty ecm. These ecm"s typically fail due to bad capacitors. They leak acid and it disintegrates the wires (legs) where they attach to the board. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can match up some new caps and replace them at the kitchen table while the wife shakes her head in disgust. Ask me how I know.

It may cost you a few bucks more, but you can buy the kit on ebay with the correct capacitors. Saves you the runaround trying to match them up. Also, some of the phone/electronics repair businesses would be happy to do it for a price.

The problem is easily diagnosed by opening up the case and snooping around.