1. Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

Engine replacement or no?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Stangboi89, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Stangboi89

Stangboi89 Member

I have an 89 mustang 5.0 lx convertible that I recently bought. I was told it has over 200,000 miles on it. Originally from north Carolina and Florida. I'm curious to know if it's worth it to pay for a compression test or should i just have a new one put in. Taking into consideration it runs very well. No smoke or ticks. No overheating.

2. ALMOST STOCK

ALMOST STOCK Active Member

If I were worried I'd pay for a test first.
    It all depends on how the pervious owner or owners maintained the car and how hard it was driven.

3. Stangboi89

Stangboi89 Member

I believe it has only had 2 owners before me. And just with the way it looks. I would believe that the owners were pretty meticulous on taking care of it. It already has alot of new parts.

4. ALMOST STOCK

ALMOST STOCK Active Member

People have reported 200K-300K on a 302 without any major problems, so once again I'd pay for the test rather than buy a rebuilt block.

FoxBodyMustangs likes this.
  5. Stangboi89

Stangboi89 Member

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

6. squekster

squekster New Member