• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Computer Rebuild - Car not starting

mannymendez25

My 92 LX Convertible is cranking but not starting. I tested the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay and they both are working correctly. When switching the key to on, I don't hear the fuel pump purging but at times, during my troubleshooting, the fuel pump will run continuously without stopping when turning the key to on. I turn the key to off, then back to on and no fuel pump purge. I am leaning towards the computer malfunctioning. I found some companies on ebay (SIA Electronics and ECU Exchange) and see they rebuild computers. They list the A9L for $139 and the A9M for $750. My car has the A9M. Anyone know the difference between the A9L and the A9M?

Ponyprez

Just make sure you haven't missed anything before you spend the money on a rebuilt computer. Have you first determined whether the no start problem is fuel or spark related. If you shoot a little throttle body cleaner directly in the throttle body it should fire up the motor momentarily. If it does fire up then you will know it is a fuel issue and you can then hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail or start testing the electrical system starting at the coil. The computers on the fox are fairly stout and are more about emissions control than newer models.

broncojunkie

I think your best bet, if ecm is bad, is to have yours repaired with new capacitors (which is almost always the problem). Otherwise, you may have to return yours as a core and end up with one in that has other problems. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it's not a difficult repair.

mannymendez25

Just as an update, I sent my ECU to ECUExchange in Melbourne Florida. They found issues with the ECU and replaced some failing components. Car now starts right up.