• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Audio?

broncojunkie

I bought a cheap head unit for my 88 hatchback, but haven't really thought much further than that. In fact, I don't even have the rear plastic interior quarter panels yet... so no rear speakers.

I need to figure out what to do about sound. It's a hatchback, so I have room for a big sub box and all that, but I don't want any of that stuff. Possibly just some good aftermarket speakers and an amp I can hide somewhere. I'm a music fanatic and need something that, at the very least, sounds decent.

What do you guys have in your fox bodies?

Blown347

Staff member
I have all pioneer stuff in mine, replaced all 6 speakers and the head unit. I run them off of the factory premium amp, works fine. I put a little 10" kicker sub in the hatch just to take the bass out of the speakers (and it was free) and it all sounds great.

With no sub and seperate amp for it I'd recommend just a small 4 channel amp to run the speakers and it should sound great.

broncojunkie

The previous owner evidently stripped all of the audio, carpet, back seat, and rear hatch area interior plastic. So I am starting out from scratch here.

What are the factory speakers? I think the rear are 6x9, but my plastic interior pieces are still being shipped, so I'm not positive.

The head unit I got has sd slot and usb, but no cd. It was cheap (forgot what brand). I think I'll do as you suggested...4 decent speakers and a 4- channel amp. I have a 92 F150 that I recently upgraded. 4 aftermarket speakers with 4- channel amp, and another mono amp pushing two 8" subs. It sounds really good, so I may be adding to this mustang in the future, lol!

broncojunkie

I got my head unit in and hooked up. The door speakers are missing, so I'll have to replace those. The rear hatch area plastic was missing and I replaced those parts with some used ones I ordered online. They came with the factory 6x8s still installed. I hooked them up, but they don't work. No big deal really, but I was hoping to use them until I can get around to installing some good ones. I'll end up running new wire, so no sense in spending valuable time tracking down the problem with the factory stuff. In the meantime, I'm running just the dash speakers. They sound impressive, lol!'

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is plenty of room for deeper speakers in the rear hatch locations. I'll end up buying decent aftermarket speakers for the doors and rear factory locations. I can get a 4-channel amp to run them (I'd love to find a good hiding spot for it) and I'll run thick enough power wire to upgrade, if I ever decide to add another amp and sub or two.

Blown347

Staff member
I got my head unit in and hooked up. The door speakers are missing, so I'll have to replace those. The rear hatch area plastic was missing and I replaced those parts with some used ones I ordered online. They came with the factory 6x8s still installed. I hooked them up, but they don't work. No big deal really, but I was hoping to use them until I can get around to installing some good ones. I'll end up running new wire, so no sense in spending valuable time tracking down the problem with the factory stuff. In the meantime, I'm running just the dash speakers. They sound impressive, lol!'

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is plenty of room for deeper speakers in the rear hatch locations. I'll end up buying decent aftermarket speakers for the doors and rear factory locations. I can get a 4-channel amp to run them (I'd love to find a good hiding spot for it) and I'll run thick enough power wire to upgrade, if I ever decide to add another amp and sub or two.

Sweet! One thing is suggest, if you're not going to replace the dash speakers then I'd just not use te factory ones. Especially with quality speakers elsewhere, they tend to blow out or just crackle and sound like crap

broncojunkie

Sweet! One thing is suggest, if you're not going to replace the dash speakers then I'd just not use te factory ones. Especially with quality speakers elsewhere, they tend to blow out or just crackle and sound like crap
Ok thanks for the tip!

Kang

I am using tweeters in the dash wired in series with the door speakers. Sounds real good, I always suggest taking your music to car stereo store and listening to all sorts of combos they have set up. good speakers can make a cheap head unit sound great but cheap speakers can may an expensive head unit sound bad. enjoy :)

lyonmt

I just got a bluetooth adpater for the head unit in my pickup. It has a USB slot and a 3.5mm jack.
51aiulubdCL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX71GNO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1