• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD Shifter T-Handle Removal

David Schultz

How do you remove the AOD Shifter handle from a 1986 GT with AOD? I can't seen to find or feel any set screws or clips anywhere on the shifter knob. We want to replace the shifter selector dust/dirt trim piece, but can't figure out how to get the T-Handle off?

Last edited:

83stang

Late on the post but you grab it and pull straight up...hard. Make sure your handel is covers by your thumb so the spring does not fly off

83stang

Where is the spring you mentioned? Where should the thumb cover?
Where your thumb rest on the button to switch it into drive exc. double check something first turn on your key do not start it. Put your foot on the break put it in low and look at the back side about 1/8" from the bottom of the shiftier I think some came with a clip that you remove wit a pare of needle nose pliers. But I think on your it's just yank up hard.... Don't get your face in the way...lol