• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any tips on replacing a fox body horn?

michaelS

The horns on my 1987 GT convertible foxbody went out. I replaced the horn pad in the steering wheel in case that was the issue, and can tell it's working. The horns are still shorting out and blowing fuses, so I bought some new ones from LMR. I'd rather not pull the front bumper off and all that to access the old horns and swap them out. I think there's a way to get to them through the wheel well, but I'm not sure that will work. Anyone here know the easy way to get at the horns? I really appreciate the help, thanks!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Just pull the plastic inner fender out and you can get to them.
Horn failure .....Old horns like that work with an electromagnet and a set of contact points. The points are normally closed. When current flows the field from a coil of wire moves the diaphragm and the movement opens the points. When the points open the magnetic field dies and the diaphragm moves back; this keeps repeating.

When they sound like a dying duck and then finally die with a click, it is almost always because the "points" in the horn have gradually failed. This is very common.

There is always a small chance it is something else, but the safe bet on a failure like you had is to get at the horn.

Pull the driver side inner fender and do a good job. It is easier to take the wheel off and do it.

The relay has zero to do with common horn failures. They usually fail because water gets in the horn and sits there, with the moisture eating up the points. If you were mounted inside the fender between the grill and the wheel you'd be all messed up after a few weeks of wet weather and dusty road driving.

A relay failure is almost always an "it sounded perfect and suddenly quits" type of failure.

Horn Testing.JPG