• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Alt

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Question, driving and headlights get dim car dies. Jump battery starts up just made it to auto zone. New battery new alt. Car is still reading low battery, and low output. HELP:mad:

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
are you running overdrive pulleys? that will give u a low output.... check your ground cables to make sure they are making good contact... corrosion on battery post......good luck!

rkuhn

^^^ what he said and you need to change your voltage regulator along with you alt as well if you have not already done so. It will do this as well.

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Thanks guys. I'm messing with it now. I thought the voltage regulator is in the Alt?
Some one also said to check the fuse link?

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Well I just wigled all the wires and its good. So I have to find what wire is doing it. But everything looks good.

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Well it's not good now alternator gauge is reading in the red after about 5 minutes let it warm up and came back out to the car and I was in the red zone again . Now trying to wiggle the wires again no luck

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Wondering if solenoid would have anything to do with it?
I recently changed it, and new one is slightly different?

rkuhn

This is a voltage regulator. Yours may not look exactly like this but it will be similar. It may be black or silver and will be bolted to your tower wall next to your solenoid with a bunch of wire coming out of it.
VR7_zps807be4b6.jpg

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
Now I come out here to start it up and it is operating normal.
Is it normal for cold start to be good, then when it war ms up to stop charging?

rkuhn

Ok I goofed up. I am use to older Mustangs and did some research on yours and you would have an internal voltage regulator so this is not the issue. Sorry :oops:

Vinny

88 LX 5.0 AOD
After new battery two new grounds, new belt and a new solenoid. Problem is gone for now. Oh ya, and wiggled a bunch of wires... :D