• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

80 Cobra

Can anyone who has had experience trying to get their cars to pass the California I.M. 240 Dyno emissions law, so you can keep your cars plated for street use, tell me the dos and dont's of what you can or can't build in the engine department?

I am planning out the engine build for the 80 and planning on a more modern drivetrain change from stock to mass air EFI and was wondering what, (if anything) will fail the test other than not having the C.A.R.B. approved parts on the engine.

Aside of having the approved C.A.R.B aftermarket items and possibly paperwork for them.

Is there also max compression of the shortblock and head arrangement that will still pass hydrocarbon emitting numbers wheather it is a Ford Crate engine, Coast high build or for that matter, even a 347 stroker.

I am undecided to either buy the Ford FFRP Crate 306 / 340HP 5.0 long block or possibly have a Coast High stroker built for it. But don't know if either engine will pass the way it comes shipped.

This project car will be a real nice rotisserie restoration and look all stock on the outside of the body but want a very healthy streetable power advantage under the hood w/ modern H/O EFI/T-5.

The car will run a new H/D T-5 W/ Traction loc rear. (already was a stock 4-speed car).
Will most likely end up 3:73 ratio.

I plan to use an 89 5.0 mass air harness and ecm with either stock Ford or aftermarket EFI parts on top of engine with a new Stock 93 Cobra intake/Plenum. thoughts?

EFI fuel tank etc..

Hopefully the wires can be made to work relocated/spliced from the later 89 mass air Mustang harness to the 1980 cluster and steering column.

I also would also value any imput on the best aluminum head to use. I realize it will need emission ports in the heads. But can the aluminum standard 190 Edelbrock performer head be used? or other head style?

I would like to keep the engine at 9:0.1 compression to continue to run the cheaply made grain alcohol gas without dentonation.

Any thoughts from your experience dealing with CA. IM 240 dyno emissions will help.

Thanks...
80 Cobra.