• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.0 stroker engine help

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
well my wife has been wanting to upgrade her 4banger if she dont swap it for another car. she wants a 5.0 but doesnt really want it stock. i told her a stroker would be good but i am not to familiar with the hole stroke engine stuff...she doesnt have a engine yet and is not sure to buy a good running 5.0 and just machine that one or wat...anyone that has experiance with strokers or can help me out with some info to determine a good and easy and fairly cheap way to go. also the gt40/p heads and intake upgrade can they pass smog or wat?

Blown347

Staff member
If you can do the assembly yourself then buy the stroker rotating assembly, take the stock short block to a machine shop and have them bore, stroke, balance and assemble the stroker short block. Then build up from the short block

Blown347

Staff member
I don't know about the gt40 top end but it should be fine as long as you keep all the stock emissions setup.

87_notchfox

yeah it will be out of a stock 5.0...but if it will be 4-5k i might just try to buy one already built or close to being complete...because i am sure i can put it together myselfif i can build a modular mustang a engine wont be much harder lol...well i guess i have to look around and research some more about gt40 heads and intake that might be smog legal

Blown347

Staff member
I mean it could be significantly less with used parts but brand new that's about right. Emilio just built a 347 fr his DD fox. He may be able to tell you how much his build has been

87_notchfox

ohhh but yeah its going to be a budget build nothing to crazy plus its for the wife

Blown347

Staff member
You don't need a stroker to make safe good power. Just look into the trim flow track heat top end kit

87_notchfox

yeah but the cali smog legal thing is wat will bite me...because i thought about holly systemax over the trickflow...but not sure which rought to go yet

Dude throw a stock 5.0 shortblock in there with a lil baby cam and tell her you built a stroker lol. Compared to a 4cyl she'll never know and be so happy plus you won't have to worry about all the smog issues.

87_notchfox

yeah i know the smog thing is wat is the biggest stopping point for any mods in cali...

Yeah I remember my first trip out there I got gas at a station and noticed the octanes at the pump I almost circled the pump looking for the 93 lol.

Does Cali have the IM 240 emission law where you need to have the car put on the dyno while monitering the emssion Test?