1. Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

1979 Pace Car build

Discussion in 'Members Build-Up Projects' started by broncojunkie, Jun 19, 2016.

1. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

Here's a much needed update. I've been busy working on other projects, but finally got a chance to start finishing up the motor.
    [​IMG]
    I'm cleaning up and painting the valve covers now, and that's not the carb I'm using on it. I just slapped it on top for pics. I've got more parts to go on, including the water pump (standard/clockwise rotation, which was a pain to figure out), solid motor mounts, MSD distributor, and a few other odds and ends. The intake, I had powder coated at a local shop. It turned out nice, but in retrospect, I wish I would have gone with a slightly darker grey color. No big deal, though. It's nice and I won't have to worry about the raw cast aluminum getting stained from grease and fuel.

I'll try and take a couple more pics once I get the valve covers on. I have a clutch, transmission mount, crossmember, t5 cluster shaft retainer (billet steel), and a few other items on order, so I may actually get the motor and transmission bolted in soon.

2. broncojunkie

Been working hard on this thing, with what little bit of time I've had. My stepson bought his first car, so I've been busy teaching him how to work on it. We just about got it ready to go as of yesterday. In the meantime, I've been pulling late nights in the garage working on the pace car motor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I loaned my hoist out to a neighbor a few weeks ago, but I plan on picking it up this evening. Get the motor off the stand and start bolting up the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, bellhousing, etc. I also need to upgrade the t5 I'm using, along with a few mods to make it work with my setup. I'm going to try and do that today. UPS should be delivering my crossmember and speedo drive gear this evening. Hopefully, by this weekend I'll have pics of the motor sitting in it's home.

3. broncojunkie

I have the motor bolted into place, but having a little clearance issues with the header hitting the steering shaft. It may be ok now, but I'll need to get the transmission in and see how the placement ends up. If the transmission bolted up keeps the rear of the motor high enough, clearance won't be an issue. If it wants to drop the rear of the motor down further, then I'll have to figure something out. I picked up another set of headers yesterday, so that might fix it if clearance is still a problem. I'll know this evening when I put the t5 in. I have some running to do. Going to try and pick up some Weld dradlites from a guy, but he's not being very cooperative.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I picked up a new clutch cable for this thing. I just found out that the 4 cyl cable isn't long enough. The v8 is a little longer and has a bracket like the later model fox bodies that keeps it pulled over and attached to the inner frame rail.

4. broncojunkie

Got a little more done on the pace car tonight.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a decent used set of draglites. Front tires are good. Rears are dry rotted, so I'll need to get a set.
    [​IMG]

Got the new clutch cable in, along with the shifter and console.
    [​IMG]

I had the driver's seat out so I could get to the clutch cable, so I think I'll run it by the upholstery shop today and see what they would charge to replace the zig-zag fabric in the center.
    [​IMG]

5. mustanggarage

mustanggarage Active Member

you are really coming along on that car. it is looking great

broncojunkie likes this.
  6. broncojunkie

Thanks. I'm off the boat again in another 9 days. I have a few parts waiting at the house so I can get right back to work on it. I also plan on ordering everything for the cooling system tonight (radiator, electric fan, controller, maxi-fuse, hoses). I'm going to at least try to have it running...maybe even on the road.

7. mustanggarage

what kind of a boat is this? that you work on. navy, or fishing boat, or what?

8. broncojunkie

I work on a river boat pushing petroleum barges (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, asphalt, vgo, etc). My boat stays mainly on the upper OH river, with an occasional trip up the Kanawha, Tennessee, and maybe Kentucky lake.

9. mustanggarage

sorry I have lived my whole life in the midwest so boats are for fishing or recreation lol. so I am curious. how does that work do you push a set of barges up the river, then bring one down, then shore leave for a bit, or how does your work/ time off rotation work?

broncojunkie likes this.
  10. broncojunkie

Well, I work a 28/28 schedule. I get on the boat and ride for 28 days. There's another crew that works opposite of us. They meet at the main office and then hop in a crew van and meet us out on the river. We have a small boat on board (yawl) and we can meet up at a public dock or somewhere easy to get to. Then, I'm off for 28 days. We push barges up and down the river. Some are just dropped off or picked up at various docks. Others, we have to discharge or load. Our deck crew have their tankerman certification, so we can load our own. I have mine as well, but I'm a river engineer and basically just use my tankerman license for fueling the boat.

Our crew, for the most part, works a 6hr schedule. Six hrs on, 6 off. Basically, two "wake-ups" per day. The exception to that is the cook (our boat doesn't have a cook, so the deck crew does most of the cooking) and the engineer. I have the most lenient schedule, although that's not always a good thing lol! We work around the clock. Always something going on. Building tow, tanking barges, cleaning, painting, servicing engines, repairs.... you name it.

It takes some getting used to and it's definitely not for everyone!

11. mustanggarage

yeah that would definitely be different. I am on call all the time I can get called out of dinners, meetings, movies everything, but I am usually home for at least a little while every night. different strokes right. very interesting. thanks. I have never had any experience with anything like that, except I went on a cruise last year on the oasis of the seas. I am sure it is almost exactly the same. Not lol.

broncojunkie likes this.