• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

194 Bulb Replacement in Gage Cluster

One Owner 1982

I decided to change all my 194 gage lights to LED. Wow what a difference! I also replaced the dome light bulb and license plate lights too. I tried the front marker light with the LED bulbs but they were way too bright and they washed out the amber lens.

Attachments

• F622B20C-AED4-4AC7-80A5-2C8E85654062.png
    F622B20C-AED4-4AC7-80A5-2C8E85654062.png
    494 KB · Views: 5

broncojunkie

Very nice! I did the same on my 79. I think I used green led's? Is that what you did? At some point, Ford changed dash lights to orange. I bet those would look nice in led! It sure does make a difference though! In my car, most of the dash lights weren't working at all. I found that the bulb holders weren't making good contact. All I had to do was pull out the little brass contacts a bit. They also make replacement bulb holders. I ordered a couple dozen and they're lying around the shop, somewhere.

One Owner 1982

I used white lights. The background lenses were a blue green color which produced what you see in the picture. It matches what the HVAC controller looks like with the same bulb.

broncojunkie

Interesting. I seem to recall some folks complaining that the white led would glow white, overpowering the color tint in the lens. It may just be that the led technology has progressed to where they can be diffused more easily. Either way, your gauges look fantastic!

One Owner 1982

Ok, well the LED bulbs I bought have 5 lenses. The light of these bulbs is diffused directionally and not just from the end of the bulb. See picture

Attachments

• 7BA8CF51-B072-4329-8A20-168A77D3D632.png
    7BA8CF51-B072-4329-8A20-168A77D3D632.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 4