• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 88 GT Hatch Project

broncojunkie

well it was what I expected. I was so proud of myself for figuring out how to get that magnaflow muffler to work with my american thunder cat back system without having to have the stainless steel muffler welded to the extension pipe that I forgot one of the most important aspects of exhaust work. make sure it is not touching any fuel or brake lines. it melted right through the tank to fuel filter line. fortunately all I got was a headache from the gas fumes and not a fire out of the ordeal. man can you imagine if that had happened out on the road? anyway I ordered a new fuel line and it should be here friday. btw I got my supercharger and new gauge cluster today so I will have lots of updates on my build page soon.
I'm looking forward to those updates!

broncojunkie

A couple more updates. Since I couldn't use the new 2" steel hood, I ended up trading it locally for some other parts. I scored a new set of 5 lug swap rotors for the 88, al0ng with a new Hurst shifter for the pace car. I also ended up trading some other stuff for another t5 for the pace car. It's a 99-04 v6 tranny, so I plan on doing the same type of swap that I did on the 88. I also found a good 8.8 rear for the pace car. It already has a 3.73 gear and 5 lug axles. I plan on using the 5 lug axles on the 88, but the rear will go in the pace car. So basically, I now have everything I need for a 5-lug swap except wheels and tires.

mustanggarage

hey I finished the supercharger install on my 89. I no longer need my bbk cold air intake. I don't know if you need one or not, I listing it for sale on facebook for 75.00 but if you want it I would sell it to you for 50.00. don't feel obligated of course. I don't really need to sell it or anything, it is just taking up space now, and it is still in pretty good shape. anyway if you want it, let me know. I doubt it will last too long on facebook.
539DA82F-C959-42ED-A46A-C0DACA74A833_zpsucdx8srm.JPG
cold air.JPG

Last edited:

broncojunkie

hey I finished the supercharger install on my 89. I no longer need my bbk cold air intake. I don't know if you need one or not, I listed it for sale on facebook for 75.00 but if you want it I would sell it to you for 50.00. don't feel obligated of course. I don't really need to sell it or anything, it is just taking up space now, and it is still in pretty good shape. anyway if you want it, let me know. I doubt it will last too long on facebook.View attachment 1358 View attachment 1359
Yep. I'll take it, if still available.

mustanggarage

well, good news I guess. he flaked. so since I know you are reliable I will consider it sold to you, could you send me your address again. I forgot. and I will get shipping info for you as soon as I can. let me know as soon as you can if you change your mind please.

broncojunkie

Thanks, mustanggarage! Intake looks great!
20170504_2328261.jpg

If you look closely, you may notice I also replaced the throttle body and spacer. It's the SVE 70mm kit from LMR. Haven't started or drove it yet, but I may get a chance to take it out some time today.

broncojunkie

I've only been off the boat a couple days and I've been having some back problems, so I'm not getting around too well. I think I just need some rest, more than anything. But while I was working, I managed to find some wheels for the 5-lug swap. In fact, I found 3 different sets lol! So while the wife may be a little fed up with me, I do have a few options. After looking at them in person, I decided to go with these:
20170415_152310_14922851806951.jpg

They are 17" wheels, but tires are pretty bad.
Here's another set I had the wife pick up:
20170408_200740_14916966635501.jpg

I wasn't really crazy about the looks of them, but the tires are basically brand new and the price was right. I will most likely be swapping these tires over to the other set.
And the 3rd set:
received_10801660220836561.jpeg

These are probably the best looking wheels out of the 3, but they're a little too flashy for the car, I think. Also, they're 18" and may be a little much for the look I'm wanting. Tires are pretty nice, though. I believe I'll be selling these to help fund some other parts I need.

mustanggarage

that car is really looking good. I don't know, I kind of like the third set personally. "flashy" that whole car is looking pretty flashy if you ask me.

broncojunkie

Thanks, but I've been trying very hard to keep the bling to a minimum lol! I saw the 1st set on another fox and really liked the look. They need cleaned up and some new tires, so they'll look better if I ever get around to putting them on. I've been busy with some work around the house and I've also been under the weather. I also have a cracked intake on our 98gt, so I need to get that fixed before getting back to this one.

broncojunkie

Ok, so here's the latest on the 88. I haven't done much more to it because I've been working on the motor for my pace car. I was able to find another fiberglass hood here locally, but as it turns out, that one won't quite fit either lol! So I purchased a new hood off a guy while I was out of town in Bristol, VA visiting family. I started working on it this evening. Under a few coats of primer and ready for more sanding:
20170519_205525.jpg

If I'm lucky, I'll get it under paint here in the next couple days.

broncojunkie

I've been busy working on the pace car and haven't had time to do the 5-lug swap yet. I did get the driveshaft balanced and new u-joints put in. Vibration is finally gone. I got the state inspection done and have been driving it around some. My buddy fixed up a plate for the intake and gave it to me last week. I just got around to putting it on. Looks great, but now I feel like I really need to clean up this intake lol. Can't decide if I want to polish is, paint it, have it powder coated, or what.
18787880_10209672542469595_2010333113_n.jpg

broncojunkie

Oh, and I almost forgot. I got the new hood and did a little work to it. It has a few coats of primer on it and ready for block sanding, as soon as I have the time.

18762607_10209672680073035_558927169_n.jpg

mustanggarage

I've been busy working on the pace car and haven't had time to do the 5-lug swap yet. I did get the driveshaft balanced and new u-joints put in. Vibration is finally gone. I got the state inspection done and have been driving it around some. My buddy fixed up a plate for the intake and gave it to me last week. I just got around to putting it on. Looks great, but now I feel like I really need to clean up this intake lol. Can't decide if I want to polish is, paint it, have it powder coated, or what.
18787880_10209672542469595_2010333113_n.jpg
that looks really good. I can't decide what I think would look better either. I am a big fan of polished aluminum, but powdercoating would look cool too. if it wasn't for how cool that plate looks I would think polished, but I wonder if that wouldn't take away from your plate. anyway you seem to have an eye for what looks good so i am sure whatever you decide will look awesome.

broncojunkie

I've been working on the pace car and busy with some other things around the house lately, but I started on the 5-lug swap the other day. I'm just installing the entire rear end I picked up, complete with 3.73 gear and 5-lug axles. I managed to get the rear bolted in, installed new axle seals and upper control arms (stock uppers, but have been boxed-in and painted), but I still need to reinstall the brakes. I would be doing that today, but I got called in to work for a couple days and had to hop on a boat. Hopefully, I'll be home tomorrow night.

The wife picked up new front bearings and I hope to have the entire swap done soon. I'll have to try and post pics, if I can find another image-hosting company.

mustanggarage

well I guess you can always just upload the image on here. it is not optimal, but this photobucket thing sucks. I copied all my photos and now I am going to cancel my subscription there so all my links for the last 10 years will go away, and I doubt I will feel like fixing them. so unfortunately a lot of helpful information is going to be lost. this is what an uploaded file looks like.

Attachments

• 89 vert.JPG
    89 vert.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 572