• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whistling in engen compartment

83stang

Blowen347

maybe you have a clue.
So MAF new Pro-M new TPS And IAC was acting up so I replaced it-
There is a whistling noise in the engen bay can't pinpoint it. Checked all Vac lines good check the Intake all is good there as well. Maybe the EGR? The fuel rail will not do this will it? I don't think it will but you have more knowledge on the motors. Also when it warms up. When I first start it the iddle moves up and down I gas it to 2k then it idles just fine.... It's driving me nuts any suggestions? Thanks

Blown347

Staff member
Most cold airs have a whistle or sucking sound to them when the motor is running, especially with big pro-m MAFs (this is why ford had that pesky power robbing air silencer in the fender from the factory) maybe that is it? It's just the motor pulling in lots of air if that's the case. As for the idle, that may very well be the EGR provided the TPS voltage is good and IAC is new. Have you pulled the codes to see if it throws one? Usually the EGR will throw a code if that's the problem.

83stang

Most cold airs have a whistle or sucking sound to them when the motor is running, especially with big pro-m MAFs (this is why ford had that pesky power robbing air silencer in the fender from the factory) maybe that is it? It's just the motor pulling in lots of air if that's the case. As for the idle, that may very well be the EGR provided the TPS voltage is good and IAC is new. Have you pulled the codes to see if it throws one? Usually the EGR will throw a code if that's the problem.
Thanks brother, I went ahead and orderd a new EGR just to be safe the plunger seams a little stick even after a throw cleaning. Thanks for the in put ill install it this weekend when I get time. And no I haven't put a jumper on it to pull the codes yet. It will be my luck it's the O2s lol it's running a bit Ritch. Thank you again. Oh one other thing I was planing on re routing the cold air further down to the bottom of the car bad idea?

Blown347

Staff member
Thanks brother, I went ahead and orderd a new EGR just to be safe the plunger seams a little stick even after a throw cleaning. Thanks for the in put ill install it this weekend when I get time. And no I haven't put a jumper on it to pull the codes yet. It will be my luck it's the O2s lol it's running a bit Ritch. Thank you again. Oh one other thing I was planing on re routing the cold air further down to the bottom of the car bad idea?
What do you mean further down? Do you have a fender well cold air or is the filter in the engine bay? Because if its in the engine bay it really needs to go in the fender. In a drag car this isn't a huge concern because under hood temps don't get very high, but in a street car there is more or less a vacuum pocket of hot air in there while you're driving. Even moving it farther down it is still sitting in that hot air. Nothing really beats an Anderson power pipe in that department.

If you're talking about moving it farther down inside the fender, you might stand to gain a little more airflow lower and closer to the front of the apron, but more then likely it's not starving for air as it sits, so it's probably not worth it. Just my .02 :)

John2002

I had the hood up with the engine running a few days when I was chasing down other problems when I heard suction sounds coming from that small hose that plugs into the oil filler tube on the right valve cover just below the oil filler cap. It ends up going into the throllel body right before the AIC motor. I put a small clamp at each end and it ended that small noticable sound from irritating me....This picture was taking before I added the hose clamps but the ends are larger then the hose but were hard as rock and loosing any type of seal around the tube they were plugged in to..

Attachments

• J2560x1920-01695.jpg
    J2560x1920-01695.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 404

83stang

No
What do you mean further down? Do you have a fender well cold air or is the filter in the engine bay? Because if its in the engine bay it really needs to go in the fender. In a drag car this isn't a huge concern because under hood temps don't get very high, but in a street car there is more or less a vacuum pocket of hot air in there while you're driving. Even moving it farther down it is still sitting in that hot air. Nothing really beats an Anderson power pipe in that department.

If you're talking about moving it farther down inside the fender, you might stand to gain a little more airflow lower and closer to the front of the apron, but more then likely it's not starving for air as it sits, so it's probably not worth it. Just my .02 :)
Ya you got what I ment thank you.. bTW the pain in the @ss iddle issue turned out to be a clip in front of the MAF. I keep searching and realized I had the org. Spring clip on the MAF Boot, replaced it with a hose clamp and it fixed the problem I feal stupid but I got it finely.

83stang

I had the hood up with the engine running a few days when I was chasing down other problems when I heard suction sounds coming from that small hose that plugs into the oil filler tube on the right valve cover just below the oil filler cap. It ends up going into the throllel body right before the AIC motor. I put a small clamp at each end and it ended that small noticable sound from irritating me....This picture was taking before I added the hose clamps but the ends are larger then the hose but were hard as rock and loosing any type of seal around the tube they were plugged in to..
Mine is the 76mm TB pulling air threw the spacer into the intake, Blowen347 was correct in my case. The air flow causes a whistle nothing to do but say.......ummmmm it's my supercharger lol

83stang

Glad you got it all sorted out :)
Glad you got it all sorted out :)
Thank you sir and the help

John2002

I hate whistles , leaks and any kind of noise that aint supposed to be there...I have a wierd sence of knowing if its there and I can hear it then just about everyone else can....I'm sure every engine bay is different and the sound the engine makes should drowned out any noise coming from a vaccum leak but my engine is almost whisper quite at idle and if there is a noise coming from somewhere other then the tail pipes...I'm chasing it down...

Blown347

Staff member
My LX has a sucking sound from the cold air, can only really hear it with the hood up. It was an easy fix, just got louder exhaust lol

83stang

I hate whistles , leaks and any kind of noise that aint supposed to be there...I have a wierd sence of knowing if its there and I can hear it then just about everyone else can....I'm sure every engine bay is different and the sound the engine makes should drowned out any noise coming from a vaccum leak but my engine is almost whisper quite at idle and if there is a noise coming from somewhere other then the tail pipes...I'm chasing it down...
It's only at an iddle but the big MAS & TB I'm running that's the way it is iv had a few people say the same it's just the Large amount of air flow. Unless I go to a small TB again then it will stop- ill take the extra HP and noise