• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which way do the lifters go in?

dynobill

Hello,

I am trying to find out which way should the lifters be installed. Does the oil hole point into the valley or toward the pistons? Attached are pic's of my lifters.

Thankslifter2.jpglifter1.jpg

347HO

Bill, looking at your lifters you can see these lifters have a rather large "oiling band" with a portion of your rocker oiling hole exposed into the band.
Physically, it does not matter how you install your lifters, keeping in mind the necessary alignment for the rollers on the camshaft.

More importantly here... Have you had your bores cleaned, measured, honed and polished?

If the block being used had oil crud built up, its all too possible your oil galley and passages have crud also.

Let me know if you have questions on this. I may have answers if I can only remember what I forget...

dynobill

Well,

Thanks for that information. I was not sure. I had the block cleaned when I had it bored. The lifter bores were measured and cleaned but not honed. The engine is a stock 302 that had about 20,000 miles on it when I disassembled it. Now I have to find the rocker bolts, I don't see anything that would go under the rockers.

347HO

Nice!
I do have a question now.
Did you have all the plugs removed prior to cleaning?
Most shops advertise removing all plugs before cleaning, and installing new plugs of your choosing... Preferably brass for me.