• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What's this part called?

broncojunkie

be4c3e7c-f203-4763-aad3-1f5f415bb5a2.jpg

I need one for my '88GT, but not sure what to call it. I also need to know what year will interchange. I'm not sure if any of them made for the split seat backs would work, or if there were differences between years other than split/solid seat back.

Blown347

Staff member
Just rear seat back I believe. Split backs are 89 and newer for sure, and they won't work for you since they have individual latches for each seat vice the single one in the middle on yours. You could make it work with a split back but you wouldn't be able to fold it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

I have the split back in my '88. Actually, it's not the correct rear seat...but I'm pretty sure it came with the split back. Would you call it a "seat back mechanism"? I know a guy that probably has one, but I'd have to text/email him and I want to make sure we're on the same page. Hard to tell what I'd end up with. :D

Blown347

Staff member
TBH I've never even seen a solid rear seat in a foxbody hatch lol. You learn something new every day

broncojunkie

TBH I've never even seen a solid rear seat in a foxbody hatch lol. You learn something new every day

I don't believe I have either, but I think I recall reading about this part a while back and there was a difference. You could very well be correct! I thought the older models were solid, but maybe not. If it wasn't so dang cold out, I'd run outside and check my '82 lol!

broncojunkie

Well, curiosity got the best of me. Had to go outside and check. My '82 has a solid (1 piece) back, which folds down.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
FWIW: The 89 Mustang Shop manual calls it a Rear seat back load floor extension and shows it as 2 pieces.

Rear Seat Folding.jpg

John2002

My covert has a metal backing to the seat back, I can't get to the truck with it off. The pump and the window well and that backing material are in the way. Is that welded in place???. Doesn't look like the seat back would be flat if it was turned down...