• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What lube oil are you running?

broncojunkie

Just curious, but what oil viscosity are you all using? Any particular brands or type? And it would probably help to know a little about your engine. I've been running 10w30 in my pace car (331 stroker with forged internals) and 88gt (stock 302 HO rotating assembly with head, cam, intake, injector upgrades). I'm thinking I should probably switch to 10w40 (or possibly 15w40, since I'm a big fan of the Shell Rotella stuff...seems to work well in heavy industrial equipment that I use at work). The Rotella may not be good for performance applications, but it is supposed to be really good stuff. These cars don't see winter driving at all. A slightly higher viscosity at higher temps would offer more protection where it sees the most abuse. I realize bearing clearance is also a factor, so what are your thoughts?

Redtwilight

Shinigami
I've been running Mobile 1 full synthetic 10W-30 in the 93. In the 96 it's Mobile 1 5W-30.
I have ran the Amsoil Z-Rod with Zinc oil in the same viscosity as above also. But it's quite pricey.

Ive run either Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 or the Royal purple 10W30. Always been my preference!

As for the 10W40 or 15W40, typically these oils are created with diesel engines in mind. I personally find it to heavy and unecessary for automotive unless you have a little diesel car. Its got different additive as well since application is different. That oil in my opinion is meant to go to work per say, not performance orientated. This is my own opinion with what ive seen and worked with over the years. The 0W40 and 15W40 belongs in John Deere machinery, not a fox ;) lol

Again. Just my two cents