• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What doors will fit a 1979 foxbody

Tyler.79stang

Recently got a project 1979 fox mustang and needing a driver side door. Will other year stang doors fit or Capri doors?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

The doors from 79 through 93 are basically the same, with a few exceptions. There is a trim piece on the 87-93 door that needs removed to look correct on earlier models. Removing the trim will require welding up some mounting holes. The 79 doors, although mostly identical to 80-86, do have the interior handles mounted down toward the bottom. That is a 79-only feature, iirc. The t-top doors and convertible doors obviously have the upper frame removed. Other than that, the door glass is specific for each of those. Hope this helps.

Tyler.79stang

That helps lots! Thanks for the info! I can try and track down a better shape door now

broncojunkie

Good deal. It's also worth noting that people have relocated interior handles to the lower position, so they can use their 79 door panels... but I have no idea how it's done. The 79 doors are pretty special, in my opinion.

Tyler.79stang

Yeah I'd love to find a set of 79 doors but where I live (small town sask) and on a tight budget it's pretty hard.. however I probably will modify it to work with the original door panels