• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Transmission speedo issue

broncojunkie

I just put a used T5 in my 88 and the speedometer no worky. I know the tranny was pulled from a 93 cobra, but whether or not it was the original transmission is another story. I pulled out the speedo cable from the side of the transmission and it appears the speedo drive gear is not there. I did a little research and found that they do have a tendency to slip on the shaft, if the retainer clip has been damaged or knocked around. But...what is the chance this is an electronic speedo set-up? Most of the info I read said Fox bodies should have a mechanical speedo through '93. I also read somewhere that the '93 Cobra had an upgraded (Z spec?) transmission, which was continued on the GT models in '94 and '95.

Any ideas what I have here? Is there any way to tell without pulling the tranny back out and taking apart the tailshaft?

Blown347

Staff member
If it has a cable then it is mechanical. The end of the cable should be like a squarish shape if that makes sense lol

broncojunkie

If it has a cable then it is mechanical. The end of the cable should be like a squarish shape if that makes sense lol

My car has a cable. It's the new (used) tranny I'm not sure about. It was my understanding that the electronic speedo works much like a speed sensor in a rear end. A magnetic piece rotates and is picked up by an electric sensor routed to the speedo.