• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TPS help

Leozuñiga76

I got a 90 Mustang with aluminium heads a cam and big injectors, but i dont know the right voltage for the tps, someone can help me

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Mythology Case #1:
Setting the TPS as close to .99 vdc will give you better performance.

Fact #1:
Even though the TPS is a variable position resistor, the EEC-IV logic only cares about the following:

- Minimum voltage at closed throttle over .49 vdc. , less than .49 and codes 23 and 63 will set as failures.
- Max voltage closed throttle should not exceed 1.2 vdc, or codes 23 & 53 will set as failures.
- Closed throttle TPS value is reset by the system to the lowest value read when ignition is turned on.
- A voltage increase of .04 vdc from the minimum registered to id part throttle status.
- Minimum WOT value of 3.2 vdc and not higher than actual Voltage Reference (VREF) generated by the ECM.

The above means that even though the TPS varies voltage, the system only uses it to establish 3 states. Closed Throttle, Part Throttle and WOT by the voltage min-max values to set a code, minimum to determine WOT (=2.71 vdc over minimum closed throttle setting), and by monitoring TPS voltage change to determine acceleration/steady/deceleration status...among other sensors inputs like the MAF and VSS

The normal setting for a TPS @closed throttle, would be between .7 vdc and 1.0 vdc, allowing a .2 vdc window up or down for variance caused by thermal stress and charging system variability.
So....if your closed throttle TPS signal voltage falls within .7 vdc and 1.0 vdc.....no need to adjust or elongate screw holes to set it to .9999 vdc.