• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Top end build

Sean2857

Hey everyone. Recently picked up a 1990 lx convertible roller. I have a 5.0 from a mountaineer with the GT40p heads and a 5.0 out of a fox body. My plan is to swap out the gt40p heads, and upper and lower intake onto the foxbody 5.0. I also have a ford racing E303 cam, New lifters, and trickflow valve springs. The only thing I'm stock on is rockers. Would it be best to stay with the stock rocker arms or upgrade? Will 1.7 ratio rockers clear with this setup?

broncojunkie

1.7 should clear fine. I ran them with a B303 and it was a beast. My buddy has the car now. Still using the same 1.7 rockers and an x303 cam, but with aftermarket aluminum heads (60cc chamber). If the heads will be off anyway, it's always good practice to measure for piston-to-valve clearance. All it takes is time and a dollar's worth of play-dough.

The stock stamped rockers aren't good for performance. I don't like them. I've seen them break and I believe they can flex. A good brand of aftermarket roller rockers is money well spent. If you haven't purchased a cam yet, it's better to stick with 1.6 rockers. If you want more lift, select a different cam. That's just best practice. The 1.7's cause a little more stress on the fulcrum point. They're really a workaround for someone wanting more cam without having to change a cam. Having said that, you shouldn't have issues with 1.7's if that's the route you take. Again, stick with a good brand of rockers. Not a place you want to try and save $50!