• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The unicorn trunk latch

Ok

WTH?!

I changed the hatch cylinders cause my hatch didnt stay open. By doing that, I opened a can of worms... lol

Besides all the other worms LOL, the major one is that my latch is broken. It stays stuck open

Kinda hard to explain with my french but by having new cylinders, when i close the hatch, it doesnt have all the weight anynore to keep it close, so when i hit bumps, the hatch open LOL terrible

So ive been looking for a new one.. like everywhere i can think of as i would rather have a new then used, so haven't checked ebay yet. I know theres used ones there but..

Where in the frig you find this unicorn?!?!?!?!??!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
If it pops open when you hit a bump its a good chance that either you need to adjust the striker or the stops are not letting it close completely OR the striker plastic bushing is broken.
STR 60 (2).JPG Hatch Stops .jpg DSC02778.JPG Broken Bushing.JPG

Ya you see, all those components are good. Ill take a pic when i get a chance

The latch in the hatck itself has like two locking sides. And ive got one that doesnt lock. It stays open. So the latch only hangs on with half the latch on the striker if that make sense? Striker, bushings and position of hatch/striker is fine. Its that right hand side of the teeth like/locking side of the latch itself that buggered..

Sorry Almoststock! I feel like a complete witch now! Lol never said thanks for the info! Ill need that torque spec when i eventually chnage the stricker! Sorry!

I went back out and took a picture of the thing that randomly gets stuck and doesnt do its job...
PSX_20200503_131700.jpg

So on the pic its closed per say. That right hand side gets stuck open. Then it doesnt latch on the striker. After playijg with it today so many times, after i put the struts back in , now it wants to stay closed. Lol so well see what happen

Would any of you guys know if that latch can be made like open or lubed so maybe that right hand side doesnt stick and stay open?

Or where in the hell you find hatch latch?! Lol

Well. Was kinda rude on my part! Lol

Glad the picture cleared my confusion up. Cant speak half english on good days hahha

Thanks for the link! I did found some on Ebay but it was all in the USA with crazy price and shipping charges.. your link brought me to a Canadian seller actually! Ill see what i can negotiate with him

And yes youre right. Its working now but who knows how long.. Knowing my luck ill be driving to work and it will pop open on the highway