• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ugly black box..

So, my car still has its carbon fuel filter box thingie.. its in the front underneath the air filter box. Its big, ugly and mounted some low.....

Just curious to know if you guys have removed it or if you have kept it and rerouted it somewhere else?

Ive been told a couple times to just removed it. The catch is that legit, my car does not smell like gas at all! My other ones did and they didnt have that box.. Worth keeping?!

I did some more reasearch on this, once more, and I guess there's is a way to keep and rerouted it out of the view. I wouldnt mind that cause it's quite the eye sore... Not sure what I will do now.. Leave it alone for now anyways!

Almoststock, thats a seriously good looking engine bay!!

I dont disagree like what its hidden if you dont know or arent looking for it but when i look dont in my engine bay, since mine is pretty much all stock, there lots of open space right over top of it so if you look down you can miss it... and i could be wrong but it appears so low, it would be easy to hit and break if something would to happen... I discovered my poor little guy was hit on the passenger front corner, notice the rad and bumper support bent which will need to be chnage and that thing is in the way.. Lol

Was just a thought. I love that it doesnt stinks like fuel but not a fan oh the looks lol

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I understand exactly what your saying but as far as the Charcoal Canister sitting low I have a 164K on my car and I've never had a problem with something popping up off the road and hitting it.
Just a though and nothing more have you given any thought to installing the canister behind the splash shield?
All I can say is Whatever you do, the fuel tank needs to be vented. When you're pulling hard on it -- the vacuum created can collapse it; at idle when most of the fuel pumped is being returned, you create a good bit of churn and resulting vapor pressure. That thin sheet metal tank wasn't designed to handle much vacuum or pressure....unless you like surprises.

BTW: My engine bay is almost stock except for the hidden wires and the filled in holes