• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Starting problem on my 91 GT Convertible

Lowet50

Help if you can...I bought my car a few months ago and it would occasionally not start. Put the key in and turn it, all the lights come on but the starter is not engaging, it's not even attempting to engage. At first I could take it out of gear then put it back in park and it would start. That trick is no longer working. I can still start it by jumping the starter solenoid. What I have done so far is replace the starter solenoid (it was a cheap attempt) that did not fix the problem so I replaced the Neutral Safety Switch, which also did not work. Sometimes it will start with the key and sometimes it will not. The key does seem to get hung up as you are turning the cylinder which makes me think it might be the issue. Any helpful ideas?

Lowet50

The ignition cylinder has failed, I noticed it pushes in with a little pressure and it will start every time as long as I push the cylinder in at the same time I turn the key.