• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Starter Wont stop Cranking!!

DMOC

I had to take off the ground wire on battery to stop the starter from cranking. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I have done some research and from what I've read it might be the solenoid. I replaced the starter and solenoid a few years ago (maybe 5). I have always had a hot start issue even with the new starter. Once the car heats up the starter REALLY drags trying to turn the motor over. Not sure if I need to sink the 300$ into a high torque starter to fix that bgg issue or if a better quality solenoid will fix it. I'm not a gear head and don't really know everything about engines. I bought the car built and havent done much to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

broncojunkie

Do some more research on starter upgrades. I believe the newer mini-style starters are high-torque and not too expensive. And yes, the solenoid could definitely be your issue. Make sure your entire battery/ charging system and cables are good. Clean grounds and replace cables where needed. All of that stuff can contribute to your problem.

DMOC

Do some more research on starter upgrades. I believe the newer mini-style starters are high-torque and not too expensive. And yes, the solenoid could definitely be your issue. Make sure your entire battery/ charging system and cables are good. Clean grounds and replace cables where needed. All of that stuff can contribute to your problem.
Awesome! Thank you for the information

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
«1992 Mustang Service Manual Table of Contents»
«Group 03: ENGINE»
«Section 03-06: Starting System»
«DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING»

System Inspection

CAUTION:
When disconnecting the plastic hardshell connector at the solenoid "S" terminal, grasp the plastic connector and pull lead off. DO NOT pull separately on lead wire.

WARNING:
WHEN SERVICING STARTER OR PERFORMING OTHER UNDERHOOD WORK IN THE VICINITY OF THE STARTER, BE AWARE THAT THE HEAVY GAUGE BATTERY INPUT LEAD AT THE STARTER SOLENOID IS "ELECTRICALLY HOT" AT ALL TIMES.

A protective cap or boot is provided over this terminal on all carlines and must be replaced after servicing. Be sure to disconnect battery negative cable before servicing starter.

1. Inspect starting system for loose connections.

2. If system does not operate properly, note condition and continue diagnosis using the symptom chart.

WARNING:
WHEN WORKING IN AREA OF THE STARTER, BE CAREFUL TO AVOID TOUCHING HOT EXHAUST COMPONENTS.

SYMPTOM CHART

Condition(s):
o Starter solenoid does not pull-in and starter does not crank (Audible click may or may not be heard).

o Unusual starter noise during starter overrun.

o Starter cranks but engine does not start.

o Starter cranks slowly.

o Starter remains engaged and runs with engine.

Possible Source(s):
§ Shorted ignition switch.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Refer to appropriate ignition system section in this manual.

Possible Source(s):
§ Battery cable touching solenoid 'S' terminal (defective or mispositioned cable).

Action(s) to Take:
§ Replace or relocate cable and replace starter.

Possible Source(s):
§ Defective starter.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Replace starter. See «removal and installation» procedure.