• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Saving an '87 LX T5 hatchback

StevenMH

Hi, I'm Steven, I'm 22, I have a steady job I like, and I have this Mustang. I got to drive it around a residential block, it nearly choked me while failing to accelerate, but it's as good as $700 finds around here.
My stepdad pulled the 2.3 and T5, scrapped both of them.
His first priority is replacing the heater core while the engine bay is empty, then replacing the crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, gear lube, and cover gasket on the 3.45:1 7.5" rear. Boring, but necessary, it seems. Correct-width 8.8s are really uncommon around here, and with an automatic, really not necessary considering what the LS1 Camaro guys are doing with their 7.625" rears.
Once it runs we'll think about other gearing.
We're both liking the idea of a 5.8, the 351W, so that's the plan.
You want pics, but the car is 100 miles north, snowed-in in a pasture. We'll retrieve it as soon as the snow melts and the resulting mud dries.
We'll use those $70 stainless eBay shorties, a Summit H-pipe, a Summit cat-back, an Edelbrock Performer EGR with a thin flat plate in place of the 1" aluminum EGR plate, and it should package under the stock hood. We have a Carter AFB 625 that may be salvageable. It has the Ford kickdown.
This car's worst problem is how bad it looks, GT taillights with ugly louvers, the front lights all need replaced, there are plenty of dents, the tires are 195/70s, only 2 of the wheels are polycast, 2 are just ugly steel.
I like some of the OEWheel 17s, but since I have a set of 215/65R15s, I may order a set of D-hole 15x7s made by USWheel.
My stepdad is thinking about a custom-ground hydraulic roller cam, about a 218*, 0.606" spec, I don't know. Beehive springs? His generation has no clue how to make sense, but since his results are always good, it's ok by me. He gave me half of what to say here, I didn't include all of it.