• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Restoration

Foxaholic

I love fox bodies in factory condition. Looking for a forum of like minded people who want to preserve these cars the way Ford built them.

I started out by fixing my rusted F350 work trucks year after year. Got good at Bondo and primer. Then graduated to metal swap and primer. Finally started actually painting the primer the last two fixes, YouTube is amazing.

Why I'm here...

I applied for a loan in the Fall of '92 for a brand new black cobra, cost 31k. My dad co signed and I was approved but chickened out because of the high car and insurance payments. I instead bought a low milage '86 GT convertible repainted performance red. One day I went through an under carriage car wash, once I was down the road I saw yellow smoke coming out from under the hood, car burned up on the side of the road, could of been fixed but sold it. My last mustang was also an 86 GT Hatchback that failed inspection due to rust, at the time I had no time, money, or space to fix it. I sold it. Those 3 instances are why I do what I do. Tired of regrets. Repairing trucks and cars was done out of necessity in the beginning. Fixing my trucks myself or paying someone now costs me more than a monthly payment. I'm done with it, tired of fixing vehicles because I have to. I bought a new '20 F350, so no more wasted weekends covered in oil. So since I have all the tools now, I'm focusing on restoring fox bodies as a hobby.

I have 2 99% original cars. I'm in the process of finding nos oem parts to replace worn/ broken/ missing parts for my Black 92 GT. I'd like to return it back to brand new factory condition. The all black interior is near flawless, the kid I got from smoked in it.
For the 88 GT convertible using LMR or Dorman will do, it's original but pretty rusted, but fixable. Got it cheap.

I also have '93 4cyl LX hatchback body with a '90 5.0 engine swap I got cheap years ago, runs perfect, was my 5.0 fix keeping me from buying that '93 cobra from Texas. I have sporadically collected all black interior parts except seats and door panels. Eventually this will be a clone of the rare Teal Cobra with the black interior, only on the outside though. Not starting that until I have all the parts.

I'm always looking for all original 5.0s in any condition.

broncojunkie

I like your style! I drive a 2017 Tacoma, but have 4 fox mustangs to wrench on. I do like the original look, but tend to lean toward mechanical upgrades and performance (nothing crazy, though...just better). I always thought these cars deserved a nice bump in power/compression, since they were born in the ugly smog/gas crunch years. At the very least, I will upgrade to a 3g alternator, electric fan, and 3-row radiator. The alternators were lacking in amps and the wiring setup was a fire hazard. They also were somewhat plagued with overheating problems. A better radiator fixes it, but I prefer an electric fan for a few other reasons.

Anyway, welcome to the group! Sounds like a nice fleet you have!

Blueknights75

Welcome from NC! LMR is a great tool for Motorcraft parts but also check out FoxResto as they have quite a bit of NOS for our fox body’s as well.

Foxaholic

My area was plagued with high hood scoops, American Racing rims, and Euro tail lights during the late nineties. I'm all for performance a upgrades, but these cars were hideous look at, probably why I prefer the stock look. New technology though keeping the factory look works.