• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rebuild question

I have an 89 GT 5.0 HO.
I want to keep it original.
What exactly do they do and replace when they do a rebuild?
Mine is running okay but has 230,000 miles on it.
It always seems to get hot (easily, even though the water pump and thermostat were changed)
The radiator isn't that old.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

347HO

In case people reading this didn't know;

Overhauled = replace just the known bad parts with new or used parts.
This option retains in-service hours or miles for record.

Rebuilt = replace known bad parts and parts worn beyond service limits with factory replacement parts or parts which meet or exceed factory specs, while maintaining original design.
This option zero times in-service hours or miles.

I want to assume you and hubby want to do this this as a project together?

Repost your project plans.

Everyone here, including myself will be able to offer suggestions and insight for the best, most affordable finished project.

In case people reading this didn't know;

Overhauled = replace just the known bad parts with new or used parts.
This option retains in-service hours or miles for record.

Rebuilt = replace known bad parts and parts worn beyond service limits with factory replacement parts or parts which meet or exceed factory specs, while maintaining original design.
This option zero times in-service hours or miles.

I want to assume you and hubby want to do this this as a project together?

Repost your project plans.

Everyone here, including myself will be able to offer suggestions and insight for the best, most affordable finished project.
No, not a project for hubby and me. It's so hot here in Nevada and although capable, he won't do it.
I talked to my mechanic and he said an overhaul would be about $10,000 and a 4-month turnaround!
So a complete overhaul is out. Top end was rebuilt about 20 years ago. Bottom end has never been touched to any major degree.
Basically, as most Fox owners know, I want to keep her til I can't drive, lol!
So my mechanic said he could go through and fix what needs fixing, and reseal.
I told him I want no leaks.
Not that it runs bad but I'm sure she could use some attention.
Definitely, new ps pump and hoses, possibly a new steering rack-I know nothing to do with the motor.
He said 3-5 grand to go through and do this with about a 2-3 week turnaround.

Last edited:

347HO

Sounds about right.
If I were to do all by myself, the timeline is a good estimate.
Suggest requesting FOMOCO parts be used, they are difficult to beat in price/quality/value.
One thing that may "look good" but should be replaced is the engine fan blade. Mine just exploded due to what I can only guess was heat cycle stress.

As always, good luck with the project.

broncojunkie

Have you done a compression test on it? I'd be curious to find out how tired/worn it is. If these engines are taken care of, they can go a long time. I'd be more concerned with suspension, brakes, fuel system, steering, etc if the engine is still healthy.

Your water pump might be wearing out. A slight leak at the "weap hole" is a tell-tale sign. Has it been replaced? A good flush could help too. The cooling systems in these cars are "just good enough" in my opinion. Some sludge in the block or heads could easily show up on your temp gauge, as will a weak water pump, fan (as 347HO pointed out), dirt in radiator fins, and even the wrong coolant/water ratio.

I know a guy that has over 300k miles on a 302 and isn't easy on it. it still runs great and doesn't smoke (good compression). He services it regularly and keeps temps in-check. I believe his is mostly stock other than exhaust, radiator/fan, and 3g alternator. It's a carbed car (84 or 85) that he purchased new.

No, no compression test done.
Doesn't smoke, not hard to start.
Shocks, quad shocks, struts, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, harmonic balancer, one tie rod end, and tires have all been done within the last couple of years and probably haven't put more than 3000 miles on it since. Fan, fan clutch, radiator, and radiator hoses have been done over the last 6 years.
Need to replace the TFI module again, stupid thing has gone out a couple of times.
Hubby going to get a cheapy and keep an extra in the car with the tool for future situations.
Still have plugs, distributor cap, wires, differential gasket, and oil pan gasket to put on-been sitting in a box for a year! Thanks, hubby:confused:

Last edited: