• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear Axle Lateral Play After 5-Lug Conversion

desarey

I purchase a used SSBC rear 5-lug disk brake conversion kit from a neighbor, and installed it a few weeks back. I noticed once I jacked up the rear and took off the tire, there's about a 1/8" play if you pull the axel out and push it back in. Everything seemed to go in fine, and the spare wheels I have tucked nicely within the wheel well. Is this play normal or is there a shim or something I need to consider. Thanks

347HO

If you have the original 8.8
Then my assumption is either diff shims are extremely worn or the c-clips.

If you have 9" ends
Then my assumption is the bearings aren't preloaded.

desarey

Thanks 347HO - There were no shims when I removed the 4-lug axles, so I didn't consider needing them. Until now.

347HO

Thanks 347HO - There were no shims when I removed the 4-lug axles, so I didn't consider needing them. Until now.
Sorry... I wasnt clear with my reply.

The shims shall be checked on each side of the differential.
You will have to remove the caps, which are held in place by 2ea bolts per cap.

Just remove the rear cover, have a friend pull on one of the wheels, you check to see if the diff is moving between each cap.

Hope this clarifies... Cuz I assume you only removed/reinstalled the "c" clips and didn't mess with shims.