• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Random misfire

Mo Imzi

Good morning y'all, my Foxbody is misfiring and we cannot figure out what is causing it. The spark plugs had some oil on them so I changed out the valve cover gaskets. I've also changed out the injectors, cap and rotor, wires, and the spark plugs themselves. The engine shakes, and there is also a pool of un-burnt gas left on the concrete. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

broncojunkie

Get the fuel leak fixed first. That may fix your problem, but at least you won't have to worry about a fire. These cars are notorious for having leaks where the fuel line connects to the rail. In fact, I have a buddy who recently got a deal on a nice fox because there was an engine fire due to this very reason. I believe the problem is that people connect the fuel line but don't get it all the way snapped in.

broncojunkie

You might also be able to tell if this is a random misfire or if it's happening on certain cylinders. While idling, check temps at the header pipes either with an ir temp gun or using a spray bottle with some water. The working cylinders should evaporate the water immediately.

Mo Imzi

You might also be able to tell if this is a random misfire or if it's happening on certain cylinders. While idling, check temps at the header pipes either with an ir temp gun or using a spray bottle with some water. The working cylinders should evaporate the water immediately.
I’ll try that, appreciate the help!