• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Problem with car dying

O.fayette05

gas gauge and speedometer dont work so when i came to a stop at the top of a hill in my 1989 lx 5.0 it died so i assumed it ran out of gas so i tried starting it again just incase and it ran but when i shifted it into drive and stepped on the gas pedal no go so i immediately shut it off and pushed it into the driveway across the road with help then towed it home (just down the hill from where i had issues) i get it home and we start it and run it and when it starts it shoots steam out of the hood (hood was open) looked similar to a nos purge (car doesn’t have a nitros setup) but it shot out similar to how they purge nos and hasn’t done it since we drove it down to our lift and got it in the air found that the entire underside and side of the engine were caked with grease and dirt both old and fresh oil and dirt on the engine and parts of transmission and all over the bottom side of the car including suspension components and other parts car has a redone transmission with a shift kit in it its an automatic disclaimer-(I am fairly new to cars and mechanic work im only 17 and own 3 cars 2 of which are projects which is ironic because i dont know how to work on cars yet and dont have a source of income yet so currently just sitting or cars to mess around with but both were purchased by me with money i earned just dont have any extra to get them fixed at the moment) found a crack in the upper part of the coolant reservoir bought a replacement and is on its way but i can’t diagnose the problem of why the car shuts off randomly when i come to a complete stop i just cant think of it i already replaced the air filter because i had an extra one in my bmw that doesn’t run right now so thought why not and just threw it in there but still has the issue im thinking maybe the previous owner put the shift kit in and never got it tuned (idk anything about cars yet so idk if this could be an issue even) or bad fuel pump but havent had any issues with overheating oil pressure or anything of the sort because those gauges work and are accurate including the battery gauge battery could be bad or possibly alternator so maybe thats the problem not sure just wondering if anyone could help with this and tell me what i should do next i want to take as much as i can out and clean it and replace the bad parts in the car whenever i start working and having disposable income for my car but for right now i just need opinions on what to do thank you