• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Opinions plz

Wayne86

Ok..my plans have changed.
I'm still using explorer block.
I've bought 4v flattop pistons.
I've also aquired a set of AFR 165 with 1.7 crane rockers.
Using stock cam with them heads and rockers..will I have any problems.
My concern is that heads have double spring with 550 or 600 max lift.
Next and I know I'm probably beating a dead horse lol.. but any suggestions about pushrods and wheres best place to find the harding pushrods.
I've bought a pushrod length tool but this is my first time doing this and want to get right.
Thanks

broncojunkie

You shouldn't have any issues with the valve springs or piston-to-valve clearance, but I would always suggest checking clearance first. It only takes 30 minutes and a bit of play-doh.

You can buy hardened pushrods in just about any length you want from Summit or Jegs. There are several youtube videos out there to make it easy. Spend the time to get it right. Throw one of the used pushrods in there and see if the length works. I've had luck going that route with some aftermarket heads. Just don't be tempted to run them. You'll need hardened pushrods if your heads use stud-mounted rockers.

If you haven't already, you'll want to try and figure out your compression ratio with the heads and pistons you're using. The AFR heads are available in different size chambers and the pistons can vary even more. Is just good to know before buttoning everything up. I believe Summit has a calculator on their website.

Wayne86

I haven't done a compression calculation yet..I haven't got engine together yet and I don't know all the info I need to do calculator.
I'm assuming that compression might be same as stock maybe a little higher considering that the AFRs have 58cc and I believe stock heads have same cc.
Am know expert just assuming.
The pistons I have are basically a stock stile 4v flattop so I don't know yet about deck height..or volume.
I'm tempted to just let the machinst build engine cause I got to put mine out and tear down so I can use cam..timing chain cover and oil pan.
Thanks for input

347HO

Just my free input here...
Don't trust any engine builder to get you the correct length pushrods.
Once you get the engine back complete, do the measurement yourself, to ensure you get the best performance from your entire setup.
If you can't find someone to walk you through it, come back here and I/we will explain it so you can do it correctly.

Wayne86

Just thought I'd ask but is there any differences in the mustang injectors vs the explorer.
I don't see how it would be any power gains but maybe more efficient?
I'm asking because I've thought about using the explorer injectors that came with engine

Wayne86

Sorry about last post..we have covered that subject but never any differences.
I noticed that the explorer injectors 4 holes where fuel sprays into engine