• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

on 3 performance turbo kit

mus87tang

I'm new to this site but I have had my stang for many years with the basic bolt ons and I now crave more power.
I am considering a turbo kit from On3 performance because of its relatively cheap price.
does anyone know what numbers I can expect from a single intercooled 66mm turbo kit with the following parts i currently have on my car.
Trick flow street heat intake, e-303 cam, GT40 iron heads ported by thumper performance, AOD 2400 stall, 3:90 rear, mass air conversion-65mm mass air and 70mm tb- i think(its been a while).
I'm running the stock fuel system so I know that will need to be upgraded, but what about a tune?
Is it better to have the car dyno tuned or would a mail order tune work to get me close?

I know this is pretty vague, but any input would be appreciated.
My goal is to push the block toward the 5ooHP limits. And its just a weekend warrior

Blown347

Staff member
I'm new to this site but I have had my stang for many years with the basic bolt ons and I now crave more power.
I am considering a turbo kit from On3 performance because of its relatively cheap price.
does anyone know what numbers I can expect from a single intercooled 66mm turbo kit with the following parts i currently have on my car.
Trick flow street heat intake, e-303 cam, GT40 iron heads ported by thumper performance, AOD 2400 stall, 3:90 rear, mass air conversion-65mm mass air and 70mm tb- i think(its been a while).
I'm running the stock fuel system so I know that will need to be upgraded, but what about a tune?
Is it better to have the car dyno tuned or would a mail order tune work to get me close?

I know this is pretty vague, but any input would be appreciated.
My goal is to push the block toward the 5ooHP limits. And its just a weekend warrior
That setup is definitely capable of pushing the limits of the block but it's the rotating assembly that will reach it's limits first, particularly the stock connecting rods. Sometimes they will handle 500, but 400 is a safer number. Just like some factory blocks will handle 650 and others go at 450. Personally I wouldn't go any more then 400 wheel on a stock bottom end, provided its a weekend street car that isn't going to be beat on constantly at the race track. Longevity will depend on how you drive it. I would suggest getting a cam made for your setup. FTI makes a great product that's only slightly more then an off the shelf cam.

Any forced induction setup should be tuned on a dyno. Most mail order tuners won't even sell forced induction tunes because every setup responds differently.

mus87tang

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check out FTI.
I just have so many questions right now. I know I want to run E85 because it s very common here in Indiana and it will maximize my efforts.
I thought about a stroker kit for the stock block but with the turbo set up i think i would be asking for trouble.
I'm trying not to spend to much money. I'd like to keep these upgrades under $3,000. Thats with the turbo kit, fuel system, and tune.

Blown347

Staff member
Another option is to just have a stroker built and keep it naturally aspirated. A 347 with the right cam can be up close to 400 wheel horsepower and be a lot more reliable then stock rotating assembly. The cost would be pretty similar too. Just a thought