• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oil Change Time. Need Feed Back

mikes87

Its time to change my oil in my 87 - 5.0. what at is everyone using for brand of oil and what weight does everyone suggest. The engine is stock with 137,000 KM.
ThanksWP_000216.jpg

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Sock with that mileage I'd go with Castrol GTX High Mileage 5 w 30.
If you haven't change your oil before there are 2 oil pan plugs that need to be be removed one in the front of the oil pan and the other in the bottom of the oil pan. It take 5 quarts total.

Blown347

Staff member
I'm sure this is a preference thing for everyone, but I've always used valvoline conventional 10w30. In my race car I use valvoline VR1 20w50. I've ran a stock 302 to 180,000 miles with valvoline conventional, never had a problem.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I'm sure this is a preference thing for everyone, but I've always used valvoline conventional 10w30. In my race car I use valvoline VR1 20w50. I've ran a stock 302 to 180,000 miles with valvoline conventional, never had a problem.

I agree completely about it just being a preference. Here's a study that I just came across that says oil is just oil.
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/f64139...iles/45f9e8cb-2d2f-407a-a482-079ba4de3771.pdf

BTW for the 1st 10 years and 150K I used Pennzoil 10w30 ( people for years said never use Pennzoil all it will do is sludge up your engine) and Fram oil filters ( and you know what they say about Fram Oil Filters) and I never had a problem with either and when I tore the engine down for the rebuild there was no sludge build up and no excessive wear tdo to the Fram filter.

John2002

I use 10 W 30 since I only use the car in temps above 70. I can't seem to get more then 500 t0 700 miles on the car a year so I change the oil the day I take the wheels off and it sits on jack stands till April or May. Denpending on how soon the cold weather breaks in Illinois is when I start the process all over again. I stayed with FL1A Motorcraft oil filter...damm that thing is SOOOOO BIG....That is getting hard to find so I'll get a few when I order something off Amazon...I buy cases of oil at Menards when it go on sale about 2 ayear, the problem is they took out the flat shelves and put in those slide down ramp things for single bottle sales. I go in with empty case and stock up when I can. Just washed and waxed the 07 Ranger today, might be trading it in for and 06 Mercury Motego Premier tomorrow. Its getting a bit tight for me in the Ranger, I was 240 pounds when we bought it in 07 and now the scale is telling me I'm hitting 270....LIAR!!!!

mikes87

Thanks for the feed back. Used the last motorcraft filter. will also have to stock up. Last year took it to Ford for a oil change and they used FL1 fliter. Like the look when the hood is open.

John2002

No go, still got the Ranger...I wasn't able to fit into that 06 Momtego Premier...the sun roof did it in. I fit in a freinds Montego at work but the room you loose with a sun roof put my head about an inch from hitting the liner. Too tight on the center console to, big wide flat surface at the gear selector and two huge cup holders put the console close to my right knee. It was like sitting in a tube.... Georgous car though...