• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Not a fox, but...

broncojunkie

Hey guys. I picked up this 98gt a couple weeks ago. I was really looking for a new edge v6. Just something to putt around in till next summer, since all 3 of my fox bodies are in various stages of "because racecar". But I came across a good deal on this sn95, so I snatched it up.

Don't know much about these mod motors, but this one seems to be in good shape. The car needed a bunch of minor repairs, but they're all sorted out now. Door pins, brakes, vacuum hoses, plug wires, sway bar end links and a couple other things. I've been out of town all week, but the wife has been driving it and loves it.

20161001_162344.jpg

Any of you all have mod motor cars?

Last edited:

John2002

LOL....just something more to work on sounds like it to me...don't get me wrong but a V6 in a Mustang is like "I want the look but not the costs'...I guess its a way to put more Mustang in reach to more people but when my sister came home with her first new car in 88, Mustang with a 4 banger...OMG...what a let down for the Mustang name....Still looking like it was fast but the fake wire wheels and the lack of 2 tail pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper and you knew it was a econ-o-car all the way... But with the 2015 having a 270 hp V6 and a I 4 turbo getting up to 315 ponies then it sure a way to think about going now...The rest of the Mustang family now is getting out of reach for most of us...Good luck with the project(s) on all your cars....just about a week left for me , if we don't get any better weather the next 7 days then season over for our vert....

broncojunkie

Well, this one is a v8 (4.6L). I guess I didn't make that clear lol. We were looking for a newer v6, but ended up with a slightly older v8. I've got to drive it around quite a bit. Had to rewire all the speakers (it also came with a 500w amp and 12" subs, but they don't sound good stuffed in the trunk). I've been replacing vacuum hoses and tracking down some more codes, but I think I got her all straightened out. Running good and doesn't sound too bad. Still not very fast, though lol! I put a shiny (cheap) cold air intake on it just because the factory one looked terrible. If I do actually end up doing any type of performance upgrades to it, it will be a lower gear. This one is great for highway, but a turd from a stop light. It's really a pretty nice car, now that it's all cleaned up and I got all the minor bugs fixed. Still not trading any of my fox cars for it hehe!

broncojunkie

Now that I think of it, I do believe this is the first sn95 I've ever even sat in. I do like the interior layout and the passenger side dash is reminiscent of my old '70 coupe. I hated these cars when they came out, and I always had a grumpy attitude toward them for losing their "edge". They were heavier and the motor, although I do appreciate the overhead cam layout, was too large for what little bit of displacement it provides It was underpowered with few performance upgrades available. But it's starting to grow on me, regardless of its flaws.
20161001_162427.jpg

John2002

Does look good, sorry about forgetting the 4.6 in the engine bay at that time. I had one in my 96 Grand Marquis and I sold it 13 years later with 127.000 on it...good engine.....Yeah they were a bit tight for me, they didn't allow for much head room near the visor or knee room under the steering wheel and like all back seats....Why!!!! Check and see if it still has that thermoplastic intake plenum? It was under recall about 10 years ago but I already replaced mine. I wasn't able to turn my paper work in because I got hurt at work and missed the dead line. The replacement had an aluminum water jacket connecting both sides of the engine. Other then the 2 coils and long plug wires and a very funky serpentine belt it was easy to work on ( my car) without wrecking too many knuckles....

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Nice SN95!
I've got a '96 Cobra myself. It's mostly stock for now with just exhaust and a T-56.
I hope to begin some major and much needed body and paint work to it. I've also got an IRS from an '03 to go underneath it sometime.
Then will come the engine rebuild for the Termi swap.

Older pic when it was really shiny!

More Current state:

Engine: