• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No start, just clicking in fuse panel

Gmwoolard

I drove it to work, went to start after and all I get is a click in fuse panel. Battery good, new starter and solenoid, cranks when jumped on solenoid, but when I turn the key I just get a click in fuse panel. Pull out fuse 16 and i get nothing. Can someone shed some light

David93

So I'm a little new to mustangs but I've delt with this on other vehicles it could be a relay or a fracture in your fuse box that clicking is most likely it arching there are other possible answers but these are where I would start

broncojunkie

You need a light tester or multimeter to test the signal wire going to the starter relay (inner fender). The small wire should be getting power when you turn the key to the start position. If you're not getting a signal, try jumper wire just to see if the relay is working properly. 12v to the small post on the relay and the starter should turn. You can jump straight from the battery, for this test. If it doesn't work, replace the relay. If it does turn the starter, then start tracing the small relay wire back to your ignition switch/fuse panel/harness. You could have a bad ignition switch, which is a VERY common problem on these cars or simply a frayed wire somewhere.

broncojunkie

Oh, and a bad ignition switch is usually easy to spot. Remove the lower plastic cover under your ignition lock cylinder and look up at the switch. You'll see a plastic harness plug with a bunch of wires. The switch itself is a plastic piece with a metal piece attached to it. Metal side is clamped to the plastic side with small metal tabs, which are bent around the edge of the plastic. The two halves should be tight. If they are loose and appear to be separating, go ahead and replace it. You'll need to pick up a security torx bit set (cheap at harbor freight).