• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New owner cooling issues

Johneboy209

So bought my first fox Sunday... Lx 5.0 convertible. Drove it 3 hours home. No problems. Then to work Monday to show the guys. Noticed it was running a little hot coming home... got home popped hood and clutch fan was not spinning. Let temp climb to almost 275 nothing.. no spinning at all. This car is all stock, no mods... so I figure the clutch went bad...replaced today with a new one and nothing... fan turned when I gave it gas but that’s it..Let it warm up till I seen a few bubbles in the overflow then shut her down. What am I missing?

broncojunkie

My guess is that the new one is no good. Trust me... wouldn't be the first time!

These cars are hard to keep cool, by design... even with a working fan. The alternators are also underpowered (and a fire hazard). I always upgrade to a 3g alternator, add a 3-row aluminum radiator, and an electric fan. I can do this stuff for under $400 using all new parts. You could find used stuff (new aluminum radiator) and do it for maybe $250. It's money well spent.

3g 130a alternator from 94-95 mustang
Single electric fan from a Chevy HHR
Maridyne fan controller (non adjustable with screw-in sensor)
Ebay aluminum 3-row radiator
Wiring/connectors/etc.

I don't like the clutch fans. The electric fan is either on or off. No danger of them coming apart and destroying your hood and engine components...or wise, risk of injury. The HHR fan is simple and moves a lot of air without a huge amp strain on the electrical system.