• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New member, kind of lost

Jfowl21

Hey guys, My name is Justin and I’m in the Metro-Detroit area.
I’m kind of new to this whole forum thing but figured I’d give it a try.

I have a 1993 GT convertible in a Dark blue that I got as a gift when I graduated high school. Obviously as a college student I had no money so the project never really got up and running. It runs and drives great but there’s body work and a convertible top that has been neglected over the years. I’m pretty confident doing mechanical work to it as I work on all my cars, but when it comes to body work and the top I’m treading completely new waters. I’m hoping to restore this car first before I do anything performance wise.

The damage is on the passenger side right where the fender meets the door (it got backed in to) and the top is ripped. Those are the main areas I’m going to work on this winter and maybe even the weather stripping. Any future advice will be greatly appreciated! I’m sure I will be posting a lot of questions because like I said I know absolutely nothing about body work. I will attach some pictures of where I’m starting at down below.

broncojunkie

Welcome to the group! Sounds like a nice project.

Haven't seen pics yet, of course, but it sounds like you may be in the market for a nice used door and fender. That's almost always easier than trying to straighten. Hopefully the door pillar is ok. Otherwise, you may have to straighten it. But since that's an inner panel, any repair work doesn't have to be perfect like the outer panels.

I've never done a top and don't know anything about replacing them. I have seen where some folks jump right into it and find out they weren't nearly as bad as they thought. If you tackle it, a write-up would be awesome!

347HO

I have huge respect for those who decide to and follow through restoring or modding their project vehicles.
One of the greatest feelings of pride is finishing a project, and someone else who has done the same thing have a conversation on what was accomplished.

On to your project, I agree with "bronco"...
Replacement fender and door almost always is the less time consuming with best finish results.
If you are strapped for cash, yet have a shop with all the necessary tools, and time is no issue, then patch panel repair is an option.
You will need;
Gas mig welder
Body hammer and dolly
Roloc disc sander
Plus supporting shop power and air tools.

Finishing materials;
Body filler
Body glaze
Variety of sanding blocks
Variety of grit sand paper
DA sander if you have it speeds finish time.

If you plan on painting it yourself... I'll try to help you there, but its a very defined process and best if you "know" a painter locally.

Post this pictures!
Good luck

Jfowl21

Hey guys appreciate the feedback so far, I was definitely considering buying fender/door etc so I’m glad you guys think so as well. Regarding the paint I was actually thinking about trying it myself now that college is over. Worst case scenario I pay someone after I realize it doesn’t look good. Here are pictures of my girl and her damage. I also have a new top from NPD. So that’s another undertaking that might happen closer to winter