• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New member, 86 gt

3rdelke

Just picked up this car, has been setting with the manual trans locked in neutral.
Before I get into trans, I'm trying to get engine going.
Got it started, sounds good over 2300 rpm, but won't idle, and billowing black smoke. Checked fuel pressure regulator, seems good.
Seems I'm getting fuel in crankcase. Got to be injectors?

Attachments

• wx_camera_1665926855481.jpg
    wx_camera_1665926855481.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

broncojunkie

Very nice 86! It certainly sounds like leaking injectors. Are the injectors stock? And did you actually check the pressure? You really need to know how much pressure you have at the rail before going any further. If pressure is really high, you might check your return line.

3rdelke

Thanks. I checked fuel pressure seemed fine if I did it right. The injectors sounded like they were firing through a stethoscope.
Codes say tps is bad, I'll pick one up today.
Flooding so bad now it won't start, crankcase had fuel in it. Changed oil, cleaned plugs started up briefly, won idle, sounds pretty good when reved up.
Now, no start, pulled a plug, it's dripping fuel. Kinda thinking it may be ecm.

broncojunkie

It could be the ecm. It's usually the capacitors that go bad. That's repairable. It would be nice if you had a spare to try out. The tps normally wouldn't cause these issues. Every one I've seen go bad had popping through the intake and just ran like crap. But they are a common problem and pretty cheap to replace. Any chance someone put bigger injectors in it with the stock ecm and/or maf?

3rdelke

I think you are right. Tps made no difference, but it was one of the codes along with map and others.
Car set for a year or two.
Not sure any sensor would dump this amount of fuel.

broncojunkie

The speed density system works by reading temps and vacuum. You'll probably need to spend some time testing parts one by one. I misspoke in my last post when I mentioned "maf". 1986 wouldn't have a mass airflow sensor. It used the map sensor. However, a maf conversion is common. I did it on my 88gt so I could run bigger injectors and cam.

Can you verify that the injectors are stock? Ecm? No maf conversion? No vacuum leaks? Measuring fuel pressure is a must on these systems. Iirc, they need 30-40 psi (double check my numbers). Outside of the psi window, you'll have major problems.

I believe you can test for leaking injectors by removing the fuel rail. Turn ignition on a few times to build pressure, then see if you have fuel pouring out of one or more. I've never done this test, personally. All of my cars now leak fuel, thanks to Holley double-pumpers lol!

3rdelke

To whom it may concern: this pig rich, barely start condition on my car was one bad capacitor and one burnt trace on my ECU. My local computer guy fixed me up.
Car sounds strong. Thx!