• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Alternator, went on fine but...

John2002

that small tube where the long pivot bolt goes through the bracket seems to be splitting. is there a way to remove and replace it?

Blown347

Staff member
that small tube where the long pivot bolt goes through the bracket seems to be splitting. is there a way to remove and replace it?
If you mean the end of it on the inside of the tube (against the alternator) it's supposed to look like that. It also I believe isn't a solid tube, but has a break all the way through it.

John2002

Thats the one, it looks like its copper and has been there for a long time. Maybe a some sort of insulation between the steel bolt and the aluminium housing for the alternator. I got 14 volts now at idle with the lights and the turn signals on. .Now more up/down up/down with the meter now...
Thanks...

John2002

I took 7 pictures, these were the better to the bunch...

Attachments

• S5000002.jpg
    S5000002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 9
  • S5000004.jpg
    S5000004.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 9
  • S5000007.jpg
    S5000007.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
  • S5000009.jpg
    S5000009.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 8

John2002

Yeah, but it seems to be splitting on me. I haven't had the car out yet, we got 1 1/2 inches of more snow last night and it might get into the 50's the rest of the week. I was just worried that the would break and fall off somehow. Where would i get soething like that to correct the issue???