• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New 87 5.0

87 t-top

Hello all first post. Just picked up an 87 gt and looking for some advice on heads.

Put all new exhaust on it (hedman shorty headers, bbk catted x-pipe and flowmaster American thunder). Have 3.73’s and a gt40 explorer upper and lower with 65mm explorer throttle converted to put on with a set of cylinder heads this winter

All stock engine I believe. 170k kms. compression was 169 psi average(167-172).

Been researching twisted wedge 170 or maybe promaxx 180 heads and not sure on a cam either. Would like to keep the speed density with either friendly cam or tune.

Just a street cruiser and will keep it naturally aspirated. I do have a .040 block that I was thinking maybe a 331 way down the road but with this strong motor in the car doubt I’ll need it anytime soon. Maybe the promaxx 180 for this reason.

Thanks for any suggestions

broncojunkie

I have a set of promaxx 210 (iirc) and they look nice. Engine still on the stand, though, so haven't tried them out. I ordered a set of Skip White heads for my buddy's 88gt and they have been really good heads. Castings are imported, but they're assembled in Tennessee using quality parts. I put a set of Flotek heads on one of my cars and they were really inexpensive. I upgraded the valve springs because I wash pushing the limits with the amount of lift. Car is making decent power and haven't had any issues.

There are a ton of options these days, but Promaxx and Skip White are my favorites for budget heads.