• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need to know which foxbody I should get

Erik

Hey guys just joined! So Ive got kind of an odd one for ya but I need to know which way I should go. Please dont flame me cause I know the purist 5.0 guys will wince at this one... I am an avid car guy and not a newb, been around cars all my life, Im 28 and know more than your average shadetree mechanic, I like both muscle and imports, and appreciate all cars. So I have a DSM (turbo AWD eclipse) thats in the mid 12s that I drive daily, get 22 MPG town, its great but theyre kinda heavy, my buddies 93 hatchback stang full interior/rollbar is lighter than my 4 cyl, imagine that... so what Im wanting to do is a 4G63 swap into a fox body, mated to an R154 trans. It'll be lighter, stronger drivetrain, I have most the parts, ect. What Im trying to find out now is what mustang should I pick up for this project? Im leaning towards a notchback not a hatchback cause I hear theyre lighter, Im basically thinking the lighter the better, however Im already putting down 400whp and its only gonna go up from there... I didnt know if I should start with a 5.0 mustang or if a 4 cyl one was okay, if so Id rather start with a 4 cyl cause it would be a lot cheaper to get and I wouldnt be butching a 5.0, plus I have friends with 5.0s and have a great access to parts (8.8 rears, ect) I was looking at this one
http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3799432058.html
and this one
http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3767549781.html
Any help is appreciated thanks! and if this build doesnt make any sense to you just watch this

I am totally against of brand swaps for any of MY OWN projects, to each his own honestly that car above sounds and seems to perform well so why not do it. You would be best with a 4 banger since price point is better and your throwing half the car away anyhow. With whatever is left of your DSM that wont be used you can sell off to help fund the fox. Good luck with swap :)

Blown347

Staff member
The car in the video sounds like a Honda I actually got a little mad watching it. Such a shame because its a beautiful fox that somebody hacked up. To each his own I guess. For the cost of the fabrication and everything require to fit this drivetrain I think you would be able to build a pretty nice sbf instead. But good luck with the build. You are correct that a notch is the lightest

Erik

The car in the video sounds like a Honda I actually got a little mad watching it. Such a shame because its a beautiful fox that somebody hacked up. To each his own I guess. For the cost of the fabrication and everything require to fit this drivetrain I think you would be able to build a pretty nice sbf instead. But good luck with the build. You are correct that a notch is the lightest
Yeah his is straight piped so has no throat to it and dont really care for the sound, I build my exhaust headers back for that exact reason, so I prefer the sound of mine :)
but this car didnt start out beautiful, he made it that way if you watch his other vids, and there really isnt a lot to hack and fab here and it wouldnt cost a whole lot, another reason its appealing...I already have a lot of what I need, and I can already tune standalone for it :) theres a big choice of bellhousing adapters, ect. Ive got nothing against 5.0s I watch my friends run them all the time just prefer the mileage of a 2.0, and think it would be a great daily driver/weekend warrior package