• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need opinions on stock hci turbo vs nitrous/hci 3k limit

Ryan Williams

I am a new member, I currently own a 1990 Foxbody lx 5.0 aod. (eventually will go to a Lentech Aod). Set up is currently has Stock HCI and Stock Trans/converter, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, 255 LPH FP, 100-125 shot wet nitrous kit, MSD 6al-Digital, afr gauge, 93 cobra disc brake conversion on the rear, silencer removed, 3g sve upgrade alternator, smog pump delete. I have had the car on a 100-125 shot for awhile now and getting bored with it. I know i cant up the shot anymore than 150 with stock internals. I am currently looking at doing an ON3 turbo kit (76mm turbo) and pulling off my nitrous kit. Another option is going to Anderson motorsports 302 HCI kit along with my nitrous kit. Has anyone transitioned from nitrous to turbo on stock motor? What is your experience with either ideas? Currently leaning towards the turbo kit due to not having to upgrade the trans/higher stall anytime soon and seeing others making great power. Thanks in advance.

347HO

My setup lifted the gaskets on a 150 hit soon after installation.
Heads machined for nitrous and copper gaskets were my first engine mods.

Year later I went to 331 and forged internals to freshen up the motor.
Carbed it.
175 hit, 200 hit... Getting boring.

Went turbo with a 100 hit to spool it up.
Also bastarded my setup with a modified TH350 I had laying in the shop.

I never got it running its best and sold it to a friend after running 1 season.
8.90's @ 160 1320'
My guess is it made almost 700hp.

I had to get help with the correct TC for my setup. I noticed I needed way less stall on the hit when using more nitrous.

Turbo only, on the street?.... I have no idea.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.